SOLVED

MS Teams copy link for files doesn't provide Teams link, only give SharePoint link

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I have one user in our org that is facing unusual issue with MS teams.

Usually if we click on copy link in MS teams for any file to share, we get two links one for MS teams and another for SharePoint like below.

copylink1.PNG

But with this user, out of nowhere one link has disappeared and now that user only gets one link for SharePoint only.

AkshaySolanki1994_0-1638562371832.png

Only this user is affected with this and no other has reported. We tried to re-install teams from scratch with other troubleshooting as well but nothing has changed this. I even noticed that his Teams web app appearance has changed like this when tried to copy link.

Does anyone know any resolution for this how to get it back to two copy links Teams and SharePoint instead of just one?

49 Replies

@AkshaySolanki1994 

Ive had same issue. Cannot copy links whilst in Teams anymore. If open in Sharepoint (Browser) you are able to copy file link. This seems counter productive having to open another window to copy a link. Well Done MS!

Having a similar issue, in Teams Desktop when we click on Copy Link we just get a white box and a spinning cursor - box never resolves. These two versions of the Desktop fail: 1.4.00.31569 & 1.4.00.32771. One of my guys went back to Ver 1.4.00.2781 and the Teams Copy link works fine.

@AkshaySolanki1994 This is horrible actually :( My customer loved the Copy Link in Teams so they could easily understand where they are.

The only "workaround" is creating a tab. Then if you click on "copy link to tab" you get the same experience as before.

Microsoft should look on how they can bring this feature back.

Hello,

We need this feature to promote Teams and I fact our Team is already used it.

Please bring it back.

please is there a solution Microsoft? In our big company it is horrible to work with this share point link, love the teams link 

best response confirmed by AkshaySolanki1994 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@linny1971 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0&filters=Microsoft%2...

AkshaySolanki1994_0-1639060564803.png

I got confirmation from Microsoft that they are going ahead with this changeover and above link is the roadmap they provided.
I know I feel the same as you guys but hey It's Microsoft !

@AkshaySolanki1994 

Thanks for that info, we're aware that the copy link dialog box is changing to just be one link.  Our problem is that the copy link dialog window never renders - we see a gray box with a spinning circle and that's all that happens.  

I also faced this problem and I also using this way to promote ppl in my Agency to use Teams.
Before I found this thread I also have a sense that it may be something Microsoft is changing, turns out i am right.

I have tried to access the feedback link mentioned in the photo but failed to access, please help to feedback MS that we need that!!! Thanks.

Hope one day it will be back!

We have found a workaround for our Copy Link dialog box not rendering completely.  If we switch networks, we have to log out of Teams and then log back in and the Copy Link dialog box will render and fill in.

For our users, if they move from their docking station to a conference room and wifi, they have to log out of teams and then log back in to Teams and then the Copy Link box renders for them.  Same process when they leave the conference room and go back to their desks.  Users with older versions of Teams do NOT have this problem (we've told them not to chk for updates) so this is something related to newer versions of Teams.  We had no problems with the Copy Link function in Teams desktop 3 weeks ago.  

ya think? (Joking) Why are you taking me to another program? I want Teams NOT SharePoint.
The users don't need to know that they're "the same". I agree, you want to keep them IN Teams and not send them ALL OVER! I liked the option, for me, they could have it still, with a checkbox to go to SharePoint (maybe not as clear) yet if people wanted to go. Sad. Frustrating.
Especially as I think the links that DO exist today will still work and people will be confused and not sure why THOSE works and new ones don't!
I have the same issue. I actually want to send a link to a Teams folder, not a document (this I could still do by adding it with the attachment icon to a conversation). With a whole folder I do not see any option to do that. Did you find a solution? Thank you!
Ist there any solution to the missing Teams Links?

@DieterD_HAM unfortunately not the way it was possible before.

What I do now is I use the "attachment" icon in a Teams post and then I copy link. 

Aga_Wojciechowska_0-1640166367144.png

Or go to the file itself and use icon "conversation". 

Aga_Wojciechowska_1-1640166450331.png

Both options give the Teams link. 

But copying link does not work for me. 

Aga_Wojciechowska_3-1640166576992.png

Aga_Wojciechowska_2-1640166551845.png

@Aga_Wojciechowska
the attachment copy link function also gives the sharepoint link, not Teams link :(

@ericwychan 

Can it be that it depends on the default way of opening links?

Aga_Wojciechowska_0-1640176151099.png

I agree with this completely! It will make it confusing to people as to where things are located especially if we're trying to promote teams as the central place for everything
from the different thread:

"A new Graphical User Interface is being implemented in stages. In a Teams Channel, the ability to choose between a Microsoft Teams and a SharePoint link for a file/folder has been deprecated. Selecting "copy link" for a file/folder in the Channel files tab will only result in a SharePoint link. All users will have access to this capability, and users will not receive a Teams link for a file/folder. This one has been deprecated and will be replaced soon for all users. This is the most recent one, which all users will eventually get owing to the new GUI functionality. As a result, those affected have the new GUI, while those who have the old one will shortly have it altered."

please upvote this post and may be they will rollback option of switching teams/sharepoin link
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/b2872de1-f257-ec11-a819-000d3a7bc845
I too recently began facing this same issue in Teams, and it's infuriating that SharePoint links don't open to the corresponding directory within the Teams app.

Seriously, why can't they simply make the Teams app the default handler for SharePoint URLs just like Android/iOS apps do it for website specific apps? IMO, Teams shouldn't have even had its own link to begin with, it should have simply been a GUI for SharePoint from the start, handling the SharePoint URLs system-wide if the user is logged-in. Sometimes it's infuriating how a so-called "software giant" can be so incompetent compared to hardware/marketing giants when it comes to developing software...
This is an absurd change. Makes no sense. We've set up our entire organization in Teams and kept the Sharepoint "backend" hidden from them. Everyone was getting used to Teams, happily sharing files and documents and remaining within Teams. Now all links send them to Sharepoint and there is mass confusion.