MS Teams Channel missing - but files and channel appear in SharePoint online

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

last week I set up a new channel in a teams group, the channel was visible to all in the team as we needed a large group to have editable access to files in the channel. Today I was contacted by several team members saying they couldn't find the channel - weird. I looked and it was gone (and not hidden, I checked). 

The first thing I did was check the SharePoint - all the files were still there under Documents in a folder clearly labelled with the same name as the channel but no one can see the channel. In addition we have everyone working from home, I thought this might be an access issue but have restarted, logged in and still can't see the channel in teams. I can see it in SharePoint though.

Has anyone encoutnered this before? If I recreate the channel will it affect the existing files?

@microsoft 

17 Replies

@Brea_Gray  I had the exact same thing happen yesterday.  I completed updates in 2 separate channels then they just disappeared. Not sure what is going on. 

@Brea_Gray 

Can it be that maybe this channel is accidentally deleted by someone? not sure if the team has more owners. 

What you can do is right click the teams and go to "Manage Team", from here go to "Channels" and see if the missing channel is visible in the "Active" section. 

If not, check if you see it under the "Deleted" section. 

If you see the missing channel under the "Deleted" section, click on "Restore" to get it restored. 

Let me know the outcome. 

For now, 

Kind regards and Stay Healthy, 

Mitchell Bakker

@Mitchell Bakker My teams channel doesn't come up as an option, and neither does any of the other channels I have when I create a meeting and want to add a channel.

These aren’t private channels are they?

@adam deltinger  I have the same situation with my Confidential channel. I share it with my boss and he can see the channel and I can't. It appeared once and now disappeared again. I have no idea what it might be. Restart, does not help. Online the channel is also missing. It must be kind of a bug.

@Brea_Gray 

Yes, I have the same problem here.  I have a channel that has "disappeared".  It is not listed as deleted either. 

Steve_Dohm_1-1620832510357.png

I have sync turned on to my desktop and the channel (and files) still exist in file explorer.  

Steve_Dohm_2-1620832543208.png

I tried to create a "new channel" with that name and it states that "Channel name is already taken".

Steve_Dohm_0-1620832453573.png

Seems to be an issue with Teams.

@Brea_Gray same issue here.  Private Channel accessible through SharePoint, but completely vanished from Teams environment (not hidden, not deleted).

@Brea_Gray @Adam_Lukasiak , @Steve_Dohm@kendrakelso : Wow... ok so...  I think I just figured out what happened in my environment.  I recently removed a user from the Owner group/role and changed them to a member.  Prior to this change, only myself and the other user were the only two Owners.  It seems when I changed this user's role, the entire private channel disappeared from all user's views - including mine.  

Since I could still access the private channel via SharePoint, I went into my permission settings for the SharePoint site and re-added the user back to the Owner's group.  After logging out and then back in to my Teams environment, it miraculously reappeared!

I'm not completely sure of the root cause (hypothesizing has something to do with scheduling meetings in Channels?) , but what I did fixed it for me.  Please let me know if this works for anyone else.  

Having the same issue here.  I have quite a few channels, just under 130, in one collaboration team.  Users reported that about 70-80 of them disappeared this morning.  Many of us were using Teams, even in these channels, and one by one users reported it missing.  I am the Teams admin so I went in and looked and for a minute they were all there and then disappeared on a refresh.  All files still exist for each Channel in Sharepoint.  This is currently only affecting the desktop and browser but my Teams still look active using the android app on my phone.  We have a ticket in with our IT company and they are working with Microsoft on it.  They have at least acknowledged the issue but no feedback yet.   Anyone else have good luck on a resolution?  Or did it just come back.  Saw an error once so far that said something about a connection error.

@BrandonMeyers   I have a Team Owner with the same issue.  They created a channel early on 9/7/2021 and today 9/28/2021 the channel just disappeared.  The Team Members were not able to access the Team as it just disappeared this morning along with access.  However the SharePoint site still retained all the folders and permissions.  I verified that the  group still had all the members.  So it is very odd as they could not use the Team App but the web browser allowed them to gain access to their Team.  As a stop gap I re added them to the Team.  The Channel is still an outstanding issue.  

I have exactly the same issue. Several channels disappeared today. The SharePoint libraries for those channels are still in place but the channels are gone. I'm not sure if this is important or not, but the team name being displayed in Teams was changed at some point so it hasn't matched the name in SharePoint for a long time. 

@preston_gorman   Thank you for mentioning that denominator.  For us when I think about the MS Teams that are having this issue, I also found this to be true.  You may have just found the root cause.  Lastly, I am also a bit relieved as we don't always change names of Teams after creation.  So this may be a more contained issue.  

I am having the same issue with channels missing. It started yesterday but this morning all channels except one have reappeared. In my scenario, the one channel still missing was not renamed though, so the underlying SharePoint folder names still match.

@Brian Mirlenbrink and all:  there is another thread in this community that covers this topic and offers other options to try: Channels within a Team have disappeared - Microsoft Tech Community

@Brea_Gray Hello ! Did you manage to have a solution for your issue ? 

I have the same trouble with few users for my organization. 

@m-emeraud @Brea_Gray 

I had a similar issue yesterday at work and figured out that MS Teams won't let you add more than 10  visible channels.

If you need your disappeared channel to be visible again, you have to edit any other channel that is not often used( untick the option "automatically show this channel in everyone's channel list" .)

By doing this there will only be 9 channels and you can add your lost channel by "Add channel" option.(make sure you use the same name that you have in SharePoint library.)

Yes, the suggestion there to sign out of Teams and then sign in again made the channels reappear for me. It also solved a problem with an embedded SharePoint site not displaying in Teams. For now....