MS Live Events Public AND External App > not possible/supported. Why and are there solutions?

Brass Contributor

Hello Teamer,

I'm testing Live Events because of customer requirements. The Teams Encoder is pretty nice but the interface and possibilities are very limited. Sure for endusers with less knowledge it's fine.
I have done tests with open broadcast system which has really great encoder features. But know the combination of "external app or device" AND Public is not supported. When I select external device the public is grey out. The policy for public is enabled and working with Teams Encoder.

Does anybody has experience with it and is there a way to get it running?

by documentation it's not supported:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-live-events/plan-for-teams-live-events

ext-public.pngteams-public.pngdoc.png

12 Replies

@Lars Roth Unfortunately that is a limitation that I have noticed as well. I'm not sure if the same applies for events produced in Stream.

@Lars Roth 

Hi Lars,

I know what you are meaning thanks for your clarification.
I have an issue where I struggle bit with... You published the screenshot who can watch live events. External access is my problem. If I grant the permission to external ones they need to log in. Does it also work for those ones who has no access to a Microsoft account?

I tried it with my work email as producer and granted my private mail @gmail to People and Groups and send it out to my private account seperatly with the access link.
After accessing the link I was asked to login, therefore a Microsoft account has not been registerd I selected the option to get a validation code. I entered this one and nothing happens. So there where no chance to login.
So I guess People & Groups are only for those ones who are inside the org tenant or maybe outside but have an active Microsoft license on their tenent?! Any clue?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Marcel

@Marcel_Z Your findings are correct but even worse, when choosing the people and groups option then those people need to be licensed as well. So yes, it has been designed for internal people and should be more clear on the setup page. In most cases people will only realise this when the live event has already started and by then it is too late.

@SuleimanDC thank you so much for confiming it!!! That is exactly the point ... to our luck we are just in testing before sending out the invitation. That would be a desaster ... 

Unfortunatly Live Events is not really useful for webinars to external ones, where you want to control the access. Is it applicable for regular Teams Meetings with lobby control but there are limited options to control the participants. I acutally saw a user voice which raised the request to add a kind of registration. As far that is not rolled out we need to remain on WebEx Event Center. 

@SuleimanDC thanks, the user need to be licensed as well?! I thought about the possibility to handle this with Guest accounts just for the authentication.
I will do a test with a guest account to be sure if this is working or not.

@Lars Roth Yes, that is correct. Users will need to login to a MS account and they need to have a Teams license. If you set it up in Stream then they'll need a Stream license. Either way, licenses will be required. I can understand the sign in requirement but the license is just ridiculous.

@Lars Roth Great post thank you. To add one piece more information or to add clarity on step 5. 

1. To add external participants, I created a teams group > added the members

2. The members received an email from Microsoft > click the link > downloaded authenticator (I think google authenticator works some how) > external person follows steps and authenticates

3. When these steps are completed, I can go ahead > go to the teams application > go to  calendar > click the arrow beside "new meeting" > select Live event

4. Then I need to enter the title first > then go to the next page select " Org-wide"

5. Then, select " An external app or device"

6. Then I go back and HERE is one issue, when I enter the email of an external person to add them as a presenter or producer, it doesn't show up which confirms what another person in this thread already said about internal use only. I also went to Stream (where we get the rtmp link for the encoder or software such as wirecast pro), and I wasn't able to search or add external participants (Stream is only internal is my understanding but I could be wrong). 

Solution: It doesn't seem there is a solution yet when I add external presenters or attendees (I could be wrong). The above should work if it's only internal. If its only internal and I need a third party to support the event, the rtmp link (that can be gathered in MS Stream > my content > video > encoder setup) can be shared with the vendor supporting the wirecast pro or other solution I would assume (testing today actually). 

Good luck!

@Lars Roth To add to my previous post and after my test, I believe there is a solution to solve the situation where external participants cannot join a teams live event when the option "external app" is selected. 

Let's say I work with an AV vendor and they will use OBS or Wirecast PRO encoder software. The vendor will send the regular teams invite (not teams live) to all the presenters this way the vendor is able to manage the presenter's teams video integration with OBS or Wirecast PRO (this works well because Teams live attendees can only listen).  

From my side, I will setup the Teams live as an Org > on the same page down below I will select an external application >  and create. I will be the producer and I will invite someone else who will manage the Q&A (this part need to see how it works in case the moderator needs to be live as well). After setting up the Teams Live event now I need to get the rtmp url so that I can share with the vendor who will enter this url on OBS or Wirecast Pro. To get this url, I can open the Teams calendar > open the invite and join the meeting (without starting it live) then, I will be able to see the the urls as per picture below and copy the URL's. Another place to get it is to go to Microsoft stream > content > videos > setup code and get it from there as well. 

My intention will be to learn the OBS/Wirecast PRO software so that I can better support the company I work for and save cost as these large events sometimes are monthly. Good luck with your events!

Raul_B__0-1602883008079.png

Hi @Lars Roth, you still can able to use 3rd party encoder like OBS or Xsplits for Public Live Event which the attendees are most likely attached together with ur organization. What you only need to do is to change your camera setting to that 3rd party encoder virtual cam. If you wish to include someone from external as one of producer or presenter, you need to invite that person to join ur teams as ur organization guest. Hope above short explanation answered ur questions.

@EDwinKOH But how do you run two meetings at once? If you are in a regular teams meeting in order to source your speakers and then start a live event your regular meeting is put on hold and there is no live feed to OBS. I tired using the web app to run the regular meeting but you can't do that either as the web app is limited and doesn't have ndi. I've been trying to set up a panel event with guest speakers who have mobile devices and so they can't do a regular teams live event. 

@Marcel_Z  Thats exactly where I am as well. We use Webex Event Center for external events, while focusing on Live Event for internal communication to our 3000+ employees. Would love to see a bit tighter control in Live Event as there are some quality limitations in WEC compared to TLE. In our case we are also waiting for an activation of Stream, so even internal use of rtps seems out of the way.

@Lars Roth 

Any updates on this i cant get it to work trying to connect OBS to a live event so i can add a BLS interpreter