SOLVED

Missing "Create a team" - only "Add to existing Group"

Brass Contributor

Hello,

Recently I have used the Microsoft article Manage who can create Office 365 Groups to limit the teams creation by unauthorised members.

But after than even on my account, as global administrator, I cannot create a team from scratch (Create a team => Build a team from scratch". My only option is "Add to an existing Group" - so first I have to create an Office 365 Group in the admin center.

This is the "new way" after limiting the group creation or am I missing something?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

10 Replies
You have to add yourself to the group you assigned to be able to create groups. Global admins can not create by default and have to be in this group.

Hello @Chris Webb ,

Thank you for your help, but I forgot to mention that I am already the owner of the group.

But reading your message and double checking if I'm in that group I did one more thing... I added myself as a member too... so now I'm owner & member of that group... and IT WORKED!!! 

So is just not enough to "own" a group... mut be a "worker" too for it to get proper access... :lol:

Thank you, for the hint, but it would be helpful to have a link to the documentation where is clearly specifyed that Owner must be added as Member too... especially when in that document I used and mentioned in my previous message it clearly states that:

The steps in this article won't prevent members of certain roles from creating Groups. Office 365 Global admins can create Groups via any means, such as the Microsoft 365 admin center, Planner, Teams, Exchange, and SharePoint Online.

So it sould work anyway because I am the Global Admin... 

Strange, but finally effective your mention! I'm glad it finally worked. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Lucian

Hi @Chris Webb ,

Thank you for your message, I don't know what happened - I've replied once but it dissapeared, so I have to write again. (hoping that I will not double my reply)

I forgot to mention that I'm already the owner of that group and still cannot create a team from scratch.

But, looking at your message, I have checked again that I'm still owner of that group... and I'm still there. :smile: but just "for fun" I have added myself to the members list too and this was "magic" - now I can create groups.

I don't understand why it was necesary - to be owner & member as long as the documentation mentioned above clearly states:

Office 365 Global admins can create Groups via any means, such as the Microsoft 365 admin center, Planner, Teams, Exchange, and SharePoint Online.

So I would like to thank you for your message that made me try even some unclear things... :smile:

Kind Regards,

Lucian

@LucianC @Chris Webb my understanding, and as per that document, is that Global Admins are unaffected by the change - they are still able to create 365 groups by any means, without needing to be added to the referenced security group.

I have implemented this approach for a number of customers, and the documented behaviour has been the observed behaviour, certainly as recently as a week or so ago.

Hello @Rob Ellis 

And thank you for confirming that I was following the proper instructions of the document. But on my tenant, when I'm "just" a Global Admin (and I'm the only one because is a small tenant) I have this options:

Teams-AddToExistingGroup.png

Immediately after adding myself into the "Creators" security group as member also (even I was the ownser, because I have created that group), a simple refresn in the web version of Teams I have the proper option:

Teams-CreateA Team.png

Maybe there are some other hidden options that I have to set?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

best response confirmed by LucianC (Brass Contributor)
Solution
It's always worked where global admins cannot create via apps without being in the group. You can still create them via any admin centers etc. but SharePoint / Teams does not look at global admin in order to show the create Team / Site to them unless they are in the group.

@Chris Webb that is exactly right, and something that until you mentioned it, I had failed to notice - thanks Chris!

Hi @Chris Webb ,

And thank you for confirmation. But I have one more question: as long as the Global Admin that has created the group and is also the owner of that group must be added as member too?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

Yes, distribution / security groups owners are not members of the group therefore have to be a member to be in the roster of that group.

Hi @Chris Webb 

Thank you very much for all of your time helping me.

Kind Regards,

Lucian

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LucianC (Brass Contributor)
Solution
It's always worked where global admins cannot create via apps without being in the group. You can still create them via any admin centers etc. but SharePoint / Teams does not look at global admin in order to show the create Team / Site to them unless they are in the group.

View solution in original post