Mictosoft Teams chat window crashes when chatbot conversation is opened

Copper Contributor

I am developing Microsoft Teams chatbot. Users can start intercating with chat bot only when it is added to Team via apps. Everything works fine when app is added to only one team, however, when I create second team and install the chat bot to the team, Microsoft Teams desktop app suddently starts to crash when chat window is openned. This error does not happen to all of team's users and may not also happen for user who adds the second app. Adaptive cards are used for communication.
I have found temporary fix by clearing the Microsoft Teams cache file at %APPDATA%, but that is not a sollution because I can not clear other users' local cache data.
I started getting compaints from users since last Microsft Teams update in december.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

EDIT: App needs to be added to team to get all user data, after that users interact with the app only through private(personal) conversation.

20 Replies

Hi
We have the same problem if i understand correctly.

I have made a Powerapp with a button so a few selected People recieve a Power Automate message in Teams when the button is pressed. This was made back in july22
Since December22 i recieve daily complains from only these selected People that their Teams doesnt work.
When selecting the Power Automate Chat, the Chat icon, the Calendar and the Call icon go unresponsive. if i select the Teams Icon it will change to teams. if i select Chat or the above again it wont show the selected in MS Teams.
I have found that if i rightklick on the Power Automate Chat and select "Bot-Unterhaltung sperren" (something like lock Bot conversation) it will prevent the issue from happening (still testing but it seems to work for now on the Accounts i made this change)

The problem is, then the Message will not be delivered...

I cleared all chaches with the following .bat :

@ECHO OFF
goto:main

[+] Description: a simple script to clean up Microsoft Team's Cache (release a bit memory)

:main

taskkill /f /t /fi "IMAGENAME eq teams.exe"
echo "[x] Microsoft Team Processes were closed!!!!"
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\application cache\cache\*.*" > nul 2>&1
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\blob_storage\*.*" > nul 2>&1
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\databases\*.*" > nul 2>&1
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\GPUcache\*.*" > nul 2>&1
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\IndexdDB\*.db" > nul 2>&1
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Local Storage\*.*" > nul 2>&1
del /f /q "%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\tmp\*.*" > nul 2>&1
echo "[+] Microsoft Team's Cache was cleaned!!!"
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart Teams.exe
echo "[+] Microsoft Team Started!!!"
echo "DONE"

Teamsversion: 1.5.00.33362 (64-Bit)

@Nebucadnezathank for your response but in my situation Users can't block bot conversation because then they couldn't recieve any messages from the bot and that is the whole point of my Microsft Teams app.

Hi @RobKal

I am in the same boat as you, the issue seems to be related to a recent Teams update. It seems to occur for us when an adaptive card sent via Power Automate has a URL actionable button or a Power Automate flow is waiting on an action from an adaptive card sent to Microsoft teams. 

I currently have a support ticket open, have done for quite a few weeks now and it is currently in a "we are investigating" state. 

We are also using the adaptive cards with the same issue. There is a timeout set for the wait for response but think you could be onto something with the old card waiting on a response.

Hello,

I am from the Teams product team. Can some of you please share some sample Adaptive Cards here with which you are able to reproduce the issue?

Thx

@Sid Uppal i dont use adaptive cards.

I just use send Chat message as flow bot in power Automate.

When Ever the flow sends a new message as flow bot, the Teams Chat and call Icon go unresponsive.

I reworked my flow todays so instead of a message, the flow sends an activity into the feed. After some testing it seems this doesnt Breaks teams

Hi,

I am trying to repro this behavior but it is working for me. Are you sending the message in a chat with the bot or a group chat or meeting chat?
Are you clicking on the a notification for the message or just clicking on the chat where the message was sent?

Since @KeithMcC mentioned URL actionable I was sending this card to try to repro
{
"$schema": "http://adaptivecards.io/schemas/adaptive-card.json",
"type": "AdaptiveCard",
"version": "1.0",
"body": [
{
"type": "TextBlock",
"text": "This card's action will open a URL"
}
],
"actions": [
{
"type": "Action.OpenUrl",
"title": "Action.OpenUrl",
"url": "https://adaptivecards.io"
}
]
}

Im Sending a Chat message (not a Cars) to individual users as flow-bot via power Automate.

I have Seen in the users it happens they have a by mistake typed something in the Chat with the bot but have not Sent it. Maybe this triggers the behaviour

@Sid Uppal 

Here is the whole flow with adaptive card. The last condition just posts a message to a Team's chat and records the result in a SharePoint list.

{
    "$schema": "http://adaptivecards.io/schemas/adaptive-card.json",
    "type": "AdaptiveCard",
    "version": "1.0",
    "body": [
        {
            "type": "TextBlock",
            "text": "WFH Reminder",
            "id": "Title",
            "spacing": "Medium",
            "horizontalAlignment": "Center",
            "size": "ExtraLarge",
            "weight": "Bolder",
            "color": "Accent"
        },
        {
            "type": "TextBlock",
            "text": "Are you working from home today?",
            "id": "acPollQuestion"
        },
        {
            "type": "Input.ChoiceSet",
            "placeholder": "Are you working from home today?",
            "choices": [
                {
                    "title": "Yes",
                    "value": "Yes"
                },
                {
                "title": "No",
                "value": "No"
            },
            ],
            "id": "acPollChoices",
            "style": "expanded"
        }
    ],
    "actions": [
        {
            "type": "Action.Submit",
            "title": "Submit",
            "id": "btnSubmit"
        }
    ]
}

1.jpg2.jpg

In our case users don't even have to interact with adaptive card, when user clicks on bot conversation whole chat is not responding. We don't know exacly how to repeat this bug as it randomly starts for some users. Only thing that is common for all users who get this problem is that their oranazation recently added bot to another team.
For adaptive cards we use Action.OpenUrl, Action.Submit, Input.Text, Input.ChoiceSet, Containers, Textblocks and some other card elements. We don't know if any of these cause the issue.
Yeah same here. The ones I have delt with so far have adaptive cards that havent been responded to, not sure is thats the case for you too but its just something I've noticed.

We also have the same issue, I have experienced it myself and heard from colleagues. When reading chat messages in Teams sent from Power Automate, the chat becomes unresponsive and Teams has to be restarted. At least when the chat message is an adaptive card. I'm not sure if it happens for regular chat messages as well.

@jofri-msft 

Ok so i have managed to restore my original deleted Flow (because the workaround with the post in Activity feed is not usable)

Here is the Flow action for sending the Msg:

{
    "inputs": {
        "host": {
            "connectionName": "shared_teams",
            "operationId": "PostMessageToConversation",
            "apiId": "/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apis/shared_teams"
        },
        "parameters": {
            "poster": "Flow bot",
            "location": "Chat with Flow bot",
            "body/recipient": "@{variables('var_mails')};",
            "body/messageBody": "<p><span style=\"font-size: 16px\"><strong>MessageXXYYZZ :)</strong></span></p>",
            "body/isAlert": true
        },
        "authentication": {
            "type": "Raw",
            "value": "@json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$ConnectionKey']"
        }
    },
    "metadata": {
        "operationMetadataId": "deleted ID cause internet"
    }
}

@RobKal I am from the product team, and I was wondering if there was any interaction with the power automate's bot input menu while encountering the freeze. We have not had a successful repro so far with above scenarios, so trying to think if there might have been something else in common.
 Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 12.02.36 PM.png

In our case we do not use power automate, we use only adaptive cards, but I have such command defined for bot in app-manifest, and users have the suggestions pop-up with command "help" that when called sends adaptive card with more info on the app. Users who encountered this chat crash did not use this command.
I had the same problem, but I can't even open the chat, the window gets stuck when you try to open the chat menu Suggestions
We have the same problem. Using the "Post message in a chat or channel" action in Power Automate. Nothing fancy, but it does include a link. Sometimes it freezes when the link is clicked, sometimes it freezes when the conversation with the bot is opened. Teams becomes mostly unresponsive and the laptop fans start up. Killing and restarting Teams usually works.

Hello,

I am from the Product Group.

Update: We have the fix rolling out world-wide and it's expected to complete 100% rollout by early next week.

Thanks,

Cool, was a pleasure to help.
hope it will fix it