Microsoft to Introduce Auto-Expiration for Teams Meeting Recordings

MVP

In September 2021, Microsoft will introduce a new auto-expiration feature for Teams meeting recordings stored in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online. By default, recordings will be moved to the recycle bin 60 days after creation (30 days for users with Office 365 A1 licenses). Tenants can control the default expiration period using Teams meeting policies while users can override expiration for individual files. And if you use retention policies to control Teams meeting recordings, their instructions take precedence over auto-expiration.

https://office365itpros.com/2021/08/03/microsoft-to-introduce-auto-expiration-for-teams-meeting-reco...

48 Replies
Yes, it now appears to be working as expected. i.e. New recordings in OneDrive or SharePoint have the expiration date set and can me amended. If you move the recording between OneDrive and SharePoint or vice versa the expiration date goes with the recording. There is now a remove expiration date option and when this is used you get a message to say it will not be possible to set again if done. Must have been a glitch.
Ok. I was curious because I saw it previously in March when I started getting expirations (as part of TM341040 - Users are receiving unexpected notices that call recordings are expiring).
, so based on that behavior I assumed expiration was going to be added as a a property on all recordings, but would be set to null on older ones

@Thor01 & @Tony Redmond , I had opened a support case with MS on 4/11 re: the missing expiration fields.  Through our troubleshooting on this case, we found the field was back on new recordings on 05/04, and asked about it in our correspondence on the case (as well as here).  While the tech did say the field wouldn't be on old or restored TMRs, earlier this week they asked us to check older TMRs again. I can confirm as of 05/10 , the expiration field appears for all TMRs, including restored ones.

Restored ones have the option to select a custom date (though the "Extend by [x] days" options aren't there for them), so the documentation saying you cannot set an expiration on a restored meeting should probably be amended.

restored TMR vs new TMR, as seen today:

Restored:

sdadm_0-1652366606373.png

New:

sdadm_1-1652366632887.png

The joys of cloud software...

@Tony Redmond, I'm working on the communication that will go out to our users. Who will be sender when the owner gets the email about the recording has expired?

I don't know because I use a retention policy to manage Teams meeting recordings. I suspect it will be something like SharePoint Online. You can easily find out by expiring a meeting. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-expiration#when-will-the-file-be-deleted says that the owner receives email when the video is moved into the recycle bin.

@Von Zantua , 

In March, under incident TM341040 (“The Microsoft Team's Call Recording Auto -Expiration feature deployed at an earlier date than previously communicated via MC274188.) mine came from no-reply@sharepointonline.com

sdadm_0-1653057089191.png

I assume the ones correctly implemented under MC274188 will also come from no-reply@sharepointonline.com

P.S. That screenshot is a non-channel meeting, stored in ODB.  Even though channel meetings are in SharePoint instead of ODB, they will probably have the same sender, since ODB is kind of just a personal SharePoint.

Is there way to take out the "remove expiration" option for the TMRs using a meeting policy? At our organization, management is worried that users who use "Remove expiration" on videos would be in for a surprise when retention policies inevitably delete the recordings.
I don't believe this is possible. However, even if users remove the Teams retention, a hold applied by a Microsoft 365 retention policy still applies and will last. https://office365itpros.com/2021/06/22/teams-meeting-recordings-auto-label/