Microsoft Teams won't send dial pad inputs when navigating a phone tree during a conference call

Copper Contributor

Our users sometimes need to dial to an external number from the Teams app on their phone, add another external number to the call, then use the dial pad to navigate a phone tree. However, the Teams conference won't send the dialpad inputs to the phone tree system. Is there a way we can make this work? 

27 Replies

This is a problem yes, I guess not so big since it only got 30 votes for the uservoice request. Vote for it and get others to vote and Microsoft will hopefully fix this.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/33581026-dtmf-tones-do-not-wor...

checking to see if any resolutions came out of this. i'm experiencing this now. we're making a call through the conference line, but need to use the dialpad to choose options after dialing a 3rd number. @jcjchavez 

@jcjchavez(and a message to my future self when I get annoyed by this again)

So I realised that there are two dial pads. The one in the main Teams window doesn't send tones. 

kevtherev_0-1612267418519.png

But if you can navigate to the call itself there is another dial pad at the top. This does send tones.

kevtherev_1-1612267667892.png

:)

JULY 2023 UPDATE FROM MY FUTURE SELF:

They Keypad option in Teams sends tones on the call. To add another participant, click on People and then dial another number.

kevtherev_0-1689870407062.png

@kevtherev 

Unfortunately the dial pad within the call does not work either to navigate phone trees/menus during a conference call.

A year later and this continues to be an issue. When in a team meeting and selecting the dial pad, you are unable to navigate auto-attendants when adding members by phone number. It appears that the tones are not generated. If I call the number using the Calls icon the dial pad works great (as indicated below). My user licensing includes domestics calling plan and Microsoft E5.

@kevtherevThank you for your solution.  I was able to use it successfully today!

@B_Jennifer glad it was helpful and thanks for the note! I can't even remember posting it :)

@Jennifer Hurd sorry it didn't work for you.

HIs there any update on this? We just started using teams for calls within the past month and this is a huge problem. @jcjchavez 

@jcjchavez We signed on with MS Teams Voice about five months back and the dial pad was working normally.  About a month back, I realized my dial pad wasn't working.  Other staff say it is "hit and miss"...which are the worst to troubleshoot.  Uninstalling / Installing MS Teams did not resolve the issue.  If I know I'll need to use the dial pad, I'll make the call through my cell phone on MS Teams app as the dial pad always works there.

3-year later , the basic phone function in Teams still not function!

As someone posted above, within a call box you will find a keypad button on the top right.  If you click on it, a keypad will pop up in the middle of the screen and you can use that keypad for sending tones for phone tree options, account numbers, etc...

@RogerNorthup That only works until you get the second call connected, then the dial pad disappears. In my testing.

We tell users to call the party with automation on their lines FIRST, then add other parties. In our situation this works, as we're typically adding a customer to a call with a third party vendor. Still a PITA.

Glad there is something of a workaround but would think they would just setup the main keypad to be able to send the needed tones instead of people figuring out they have to use a hidden 10 key in the call window.

@rconiv 

Actually, there is no effective workaround solution after 4 years later...

The telephony features are not complete after so many years of Teams launch :pensive_face:

I came here looking for a solution because this is not working for me today, even after restarting the affected systems, but has worked fine for over a year before this (and even worked earlier this morning). I can dial out just fine, but Teams is not sending touch tones to navigate phone trees. I can even call my own cell phone, then use Teams to send tones and they don't come through, so the problem is definitely Teams, not the party on the other end.

It must be an intermittent problem, but no idea what causes it or how to resolve it when it gets in this state. Is it a server-side or client-side issue? Seems to be a server-side problem, because it's not working from any Teams device (stand-alone Teams phone device or Windows PC). Frustrating that no one has ever added to this long-running thread with a technical explanation.

This is not intermittent issue.
It never worked, and will not work.
It is just a defect of Teams

@cgigate1460, no, it's not a universal issue. Started working again for me about two hours after I posted that. Whatever problem you're having must be specific to your configuration. 

Colin- Is the issue you're having when making three way/ conference calls? I'm wondering if people in this thread are confusing other dial pad issues? The issue I've had and other people have expressed is that when you make a conference/ three way call that you can no longer use the dial pad to choose options like if the 2nd call you're dialing out to has an automated system or even a voicemail to hit pound after the call, you're unable to. This has been the case, and never intermittent for me and sounds like many others as well.
Maybe you confused the scenario.
There is nothing to setup in customer end.
The scenario is that when an ongoing conference/meeting, you want to add a participant. If the participant is phone main number with extension (or need go through IVR ), the teams cannot send in-band DTMF tone, that is native defect from Teams, it never got fixed