SOLVED

Microsoft Teams-What happened to Test Call ?

Copper Contributor

Hello!

After the last update of MS Teams, it appears that Test Call has gone away..

Anyone knows where it is ?

thank you in advance!

21 Replies

Hi,

I have version 1.3.00.21956 and I have Test call in settings > Devices. Do you run Teams in English, if not try that.

2020-08-17_10-20-30.png

best response confirmed by Dimitris Melfos (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Dimitris Melfos 

Hi and welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community!

I found a solution from Microsoft themselves here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/manage-your-call-settings-in-teams-456cb611-3477-496f-b31...

Make a test call

To make a test call, select your profile picture, then Settings > Devices

Choose Make a test call under Audio devices

In a test call, you'll see how your mic, speaker, and camera are working. Follow the instructions from Test Call Bot and record a short message. The message will play back for you. After that, you'll get a summary of the test call, and you can go to your device settings to make changes. 

Notes: 

• The test call feature is only available in English for now. Additional languages are coming soon.

• We'll delete your test recording immediately after the call. It won't be retained or used by Microsoft.

• The test call feature is currently unavailable for Teams on the web.

I hope this helps

Greetings

Martin

@__Martin__ 

Hello !

Thank you, apparently Microsoft has reorganized this function under the Profile/Settings menu

Much appreciated your fast response!

regards,

Dimitris

@Linus Cansby 

Hello Linus,

thank you for your response!

regards,

Dimitris

@__Martin__ 

I don't know what you guys are looking at when dealing with the 'no test call' button, but this really needs to be addressed - and no, having to set language to English is not the solution. Even if you can't make a test call, there should at least be an indication that the mic is working - a sound bar perhaps? I have downloaded Teams to 2 Android devices, a Windows 10 device, and a Linux device. As far as I can tell, it works ONLY on the Linux and that took 3 hours to get it to that point AND it is still having trouble identifying the right microphone and camera. I have programming for 30 years. I am not a novice. Is there a solution out there or should I just insist on using other services with anyone who wants to contact me?

@ go to setting, devices and there is no TEST Call option.

It shows nothing. Do I have an out of date program?

I have an important meeting and they told me to down load this for a conference call and it just sucks!

To make a test call, select Settings and more Select to see more options next to your profile picture at the top of Teams and then choose Settings > Devices.

Choose Make a test call under Audio devices.
I D NOT GET THAT RESPONSE. THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT TEST CALL IN THAT PAGE.

@__Martin__   Hi Team it appears much to the contrary that 365 Personal does NOT have the TEST call butto.  I have access to both the Business version and the Personal version  and it has been removed from the personal version.

SteveB1165_0-1631060572269.png

@__Martin__ 
This dumb program still isn't working properly. The option is not there.

While the question was asked over a year ago we still don't have a proper answer. Microsoft, what are you doing...

@anotherusername2425 

To test the audio I tried opening a chat with my phone and it doesn't give an error message so much it just refuses to connect to my phone with the message "this number is associated with your account." Yes, and? Here's a snap of the missing button:
https://ibb.co/Tm3mRpB

Hi and thank you for your answer.
I believe that answer is only true for the teams desktop and mac app. It would be great to know where can this function be found on the mobile apps (Android and iOS).

Best,
Ali

Best,
A

@Stephen_BurrI have same issue.  There is no option to make a Test Call there.

@safchild7 I'm also Not able to make Test call. Language is set to English. Still not working. 

@__Martin__ 

This doesn't really help or IMHO answer the OP's question. The OP indicated they had the functionality previously but that it was missing post upgrade. I am using Ver 1.5.00.2164(64-bit) on fully patched Win 10 with a personal account and like many posters do not have this option available nor for that matter the devices option under which it is nested.

Your response although correct can be easily found via a Google search which I assume many other posters like myself have tried before posting in channel. If you have any further information as to why the option is missing please amend your post.

Can someone from MS please jump on the thread and/or update the documentation to reflect in what situations/configurations this option is available. Doco suggest that it's an O365 config option for Admins to enable/disable this feature.

I would hope for people wanting to use this tool from personal accounts that the default O365 option is to allow test calls so end users can verify devices are working in teams before chewing up valuable time and resource in a meeting especially when teams may not be the end users preferred VC tool but be required for say a job interview by a potential employer.

Thanks

Greg

@HanishKapoor 

I think they removed features that are present in the Enterprise version of Teams. Another missing feature is "share audio." In the Enterprise version I could share a video with audio from my desktop to a team meeting. Not able to do it in the home version. There is no option present on the menu to share audio.

@Dimitris Melfos 

Some further information around usage patterns. Not sure if this helps your user case or not but I had a meeting the other day which was hosted from an O365 Business or Enterprise account. I connected with my personal account and after entering the meeting identifier but before entering the meeting was presented with "Test Call" button. I tried it and it worked. Knowing this would have been handy and if I had not connected with plenty of time before the meeting was scheduled to start the option would have been useless.

I still have no idea how this was triggered i.e. it could be that the organiser had the functionality enabled in their O365 environment and that is why it was available on login to the meeting or if it has just been moved there for personal users.

Again clarification from Microsoft in the end user documentation on how and when the functionality is available would be greatly appreciated. The user experience is poor and does very little to inspire confidence in the product.

Thanks

Greg  

Same experience when connecting to a call from a large business. I detest Teams because it is so flaky but it is all too often the default with businesses.

@Dimitris Melfos 

what idiot decided to get rid of the test call function? It doesn't show any devices in your instructions. Thanks to whatever dumbass who decided to remove the test call function. I wanted to test a call before an interview, but this retarded app has no way to do that.

Well, I can see the button but doesn't help much as the function is broken. It doesn't playback the audio sample (or it played it once with 10 tries) and it seems buggy in general. Sometimes I can hear it calling me (the ring tone is there) but there's no way to answer the call and sometimes the whole thing just freezes.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dimitris Melfos (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Dimitris Melfos 

Hi and welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community!

I found a solution from Microsoft themselves here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/manage-your-call-settings-in-teams-456cb611-3477-496f-b31...

Make a test call

To make a test call, select your profile picture, then Settings > Devices

Choose Make a test call under Audio devices

In a test call, you'll see how your mic, speaker, and camera are working. Follow the instructions from Test Call Bot and record a short message. The message will play back for you. After that, you'll get a summary of the test call, and you can go to your device settings to make changes. 

Notes: 

• The test call feature is only available in English for now. Additional languages are coming soon.

• We'll delete your test recording immediately after the call. It won't be retained or used by Microsoft.

• The test call feature is currently unavailable for Teams on the web.

I hope this helps

Greetings

Martin

View solution in original post