Microsoft Teams roll out / sharepoint storage // best practice

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I went on a certain number of post about this but we are about to move fully on Teams (covid situation) and we already have all our documentation in a sharepoint with around 30 document libraries.

A year ago, I splitted the 1 "documents" library (with 30 underlying folders) into 30 libraries because we encountered sync and save issues.

We are about to go fully on teams and I would like to be able to use teams once this crisis is over, for that I need to avoid mistakes and unpractical storage issues.

Because anytime that you create a Team in Teams it create a groupe and an associated sharepoint I want to avoid having several occurence of the same file in different location.

The other issue is that I have users who are not ready to use teams to navigate in files, they are used to windows explorer and so I need a sync of the sharepoint site / library(ies).

What I think can handle our needs would be to have 1 sharepoint site, keeping the libraries, linking the libraries to channels in teams (as attached). Is it ok ? Issue I encounter is if people are dropping files in the teams channel it will sync by default to the Teams channel sharepoint not the linked library which could lead to multiple versions of the same file...

Another (cleaner method) would be to recreat the wanted environnement in Teams and then migrate documents before sync wanted libraries for users ?

What I can see doing so is that we are used to have sub-sub-sub folder and it will become messy down the road if users tries to use teams as the windows explorer but then people will learn 

Should I do otherwise ? 

0 Replies