SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Read Receipts Doesn't Work

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone!

This is something what came up just recently. We were reported a problem from one of users, that Teams is consuming a lot of CPU and chat messages are taking a long time to load.

After googling we came up with a solution, where was mentioned that read receipts might have cause this kind of high CPU consumption. As we had Teams Global Messaging Policy turned on for everyone, we changed it to user controlled.

After the change, problematic user turned off the read receipts under his Teams Privacy Settings and voilaa...CPU consumption fell.

image.png

All good with that user, but after the change of global user policy other users reported that they can not see read receipts anymore. So our problem is right now, even when both users have turned on Read Receipts, they still can not see the icon if the other person has read it or not.

2020-03-23 10_00_24-Edit messaging policy - Microsoft Teams admin center.png2020-03-23 10_02_24-Airi Pikkor - HELMES _ Microsoft Teams.png2020-03-23 10_01_22-Airi Pikkor - HELMES _ Microsoft Teams.png

Anyone have the same behaviour?

8 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Totally unexpected this behavior. I will report to the Teams Team so they can see what might be happening

@Juan Carlos González Martín - that would be great! Thank you. :)

@Mart Lehtmets, it seems that the read receipts option was turned off globally, or it is some kind of bug. In our organization, no one has the read receipts icon anymore, even though we haven't changed anything in the settings.

Maybe Microsoft decided to remove it? I can't find anything about it. 

Please update if you fix it or have any idea what to do.

Thank you!

@ArbelJTPHey!

Got information yesterday from MS Support.

Which is kind of weird that they haven't communicated it through Message Center?!

Due to the current situation with Coronavirus COVID-19 and the recent Service Incident in EMEA, in order to reduce the load on the chat service, and to mitigate customer impact, the Read Receipts feature is temporarily turned off in EMEA effective 16 March, 2020.

​​Microsoft engineering teams plan to turn the Read Receipts feature back on as soon as services adjust to the increased traffic. ​​We're expecting Read Receipts to be available again within the next 1-2 weeks.​​
Thank you for letting me know!

Teams Read receipts are back! :) @ArbelJTP 

This issue has resurfaced once again. I can confirm that the tenet admin has set the policy to user choice. However, even both people both have read receipts turn on (checked it today), receipts no longer appear. This affects collaboration, as you cannot be sure that people are even seeing what you have written, so you must guess. Looking at read receipts lets me know who I need to chase down, as not all messages need a reply, as I use the read receipts as a confirmation in some instances. Don't give people an option that they think is turned on, only for it to be disabled globally.

I agree, this issue still exists and the tenant/admin settings are properly configured
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Totally unexpected this behavior. I will report to the Teams Team so they can see what might be happening

View solution in original post