SOLVED

Microsoft Teams opens with an email address I don't own and won't let me change to my actual email

Copper Contributor

Today when opening Teams app, it showed an gmail address I don't own and have never used.  It was gmail account opened by someone else for them, for a job we did together.   It was never my email and was never associated with my Microsoft account - and I never the knew the password.

Every time I try to change to my real account, it fails ("We were unable to verify your account.  Please sign in for email address removed for privacy reasons or cancel and try a different account.") and goes back to the gmail address as the account name. I've tried to switch using two-factor authentication multiple times, my password multiple times but it keeps failing.  I can't get into the other account to remove it from my profile because I don't have any means of authentication for that account.

I've tried deleting and re-downloading Teams multiple times.  Nothing works

8 Replies

@Therese_Solimeno  No.

I should perhpas have written that I use macs.  Windows based solutions are not goig to work.

best response confirmed by mysteryrare (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mysteryrare 

could you try to delete the cache of Microsoft Teams? 

Clear Teams cache in macOS

• If Teams is still running, right-click the Teams icon in the dock, and then select Quit, or press Command (⌘)-Q.

• In the Finder, open the /Applications/Utilities folder, and then double-click Terminal.

• Enter the following command, and then press Return:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Teams

• Restart Teams.

see reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/clear-teams-cache

let me know if this worked.

kind regards,

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion.

It is better, at least the other email address doesn’t come up anymore.

BUT The first time I did it, I got a request to get an application password from keychain. There was an application password but I could not access it (access not permitted) using my admin credentials on the computer. Then when I go through to Teams I get the following error message

desktop-b3b23872-43c8-411e-a3b1-cab486468f10
Error code - 8:
There's a more permanent way to sign in to Microsoft Teams. If you're having trouble completing the process, talk to your IT admin.

Regards

@mysteryrare so still issues with login to Teams? Or is that solved now? 

The issues have changed as per the above but there are still issues.
OK matters seem to have resolved, at least for now. Thanks for your help everyone.
Good that it has been solved! Hope that it stays this way.

Could you maybe mark the post as "Best response" so that others know that the issue has been solved for now?

Thanks

kind regards,
Mitchell
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mysteryrare (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mysteryrare 

could you try to delete the cache of Microsoft Teams? 

Clear Teams cache in macOS

• If Teams is still running, right-click the Teams icon in the dock, and then select Quit, or press Command (⌘)-Q.

• In the Finder, open the /Applications/Utilities folder, and then double-click Terminal.

• Enter the following command, and then press Return:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Teams

• Restart Teams.

see reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/clear-teams-cache

let me know if this worked.

kind regards,

View solution in original post