SOLVED

Microsoft Teams on MAC wont let me change log in

Copper Contributor

I have spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to sign into my WORK account. I have tried deleting keychains, I have tried searching for folders mentioned in other strings, and I do not have any. I have uninstalled, SEVERAL times, I have restarted the computer several times. There is no option to change the log in account on the desktop app. 

When i do attempt to log in with the shown account, it sends me to a never ending loop "password > last 4 of cell > code > password" over and over and over... never letting me sign in! 

HELP! please... I was on the phone with Microsoft tech support- they did nothing but respond "I have never had this problem and i sign in 
 I have attached two screen shots, in one you will see I cannot get in. the other was taking me there, but i cannot click on the change accounts. 

19 Replies

Hi @Ltoombs   For personalized technical assistance, I recommend you open a ticket at answers.microsoft.con

I am having the EXACT same issue! Were you able to get any help from Microsoft?
NONE! they were worthless
Unfortunately for us, the solution was to go back to Slack and Zoom.. never again.

@Ltoombs 

I got mine to work! Here's what I did, I hope this works for you:

I forced quit then deleted the Teams desktop app. Then I went back to the Microsoft Teams website to download the desktop app again but instead of clicking "sign in", I clicked "sign up for free" and I was able to input my work email and follow all of the steps from there. I had to do this process twice but it worked on the second time. Also, I should mention, I already have my work email set up in my email accounts on my Mac. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but just wanted to share the entire picture. 

@andrearichter 

Hi you must disconnect other microsoft account from all microsoft product like Office

delete old account password

Then you can setup an other account for teams.

@Mohye97 @Ltoombs @andrearichter 

Tried below on Mac but still didn't help me . Any other option?  please help 

1. uninstall & install again 

2. Clear cache , cookies ,

3. uninstall >Restart > install

4. Delete all microsoft accounts/office suite

5. Download for signup for free option 

. This really pathetic that there is no fresh install option . 

best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@Ltoombs 

In case anyone else has the issue that the login is broken or set to an account that no longer exists, remove the "Teams" folder from ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft (Finder - Go to Folder) and remove any "Teams Identity Cache" from Keychain access (search in the top right of the Keychain Access window). Restart Teams and it should prompt for login info.

@Ltoombs 

I have tried all the responses to your question and I'm afraid that nothing worked. It's ridiculous that they make it so difficult

Did you ever find a solution?

Kevin Davis solution above worked!!! Deleting the Application Support folder for Teams got rid of the old stuck account (that did not exist anymore)
Thanks for the confirmation Cortado, glad it helped at least one person : )

@Kevin_Davis 

This process worked.  I first deleted Teams Application with CleanMyMac app.  Then I followed your instructions.  Then I went to the online version of teams and logged in there with my new work email.  From the work Teams, there is a download Teams for Desktop.  I did a fresh download and install.  It came up and asked me to select my personal Outlook account or my work account.  I selected my work account and it loaded perfectly.

@Kevin_Davis 

Thank you Kevin. This worked well for me.

For weeks, I haven't been able to log into Teams with my work account. Did everything that was suggested, uninstall and reinstall, deleted preferences, keychains. Would just get a white screen after I enter my work email address. Saw something mentioned on another website about disconnecting from VPN. Didn't think that would help but tried it anyways. I got in!! I couldn't believe it. Was able to reconnect with VPN and have been connecting to Teams successfully since. Makes no sense why I couldn't connect while on ethernet at work with VPN disconnected all this time. Not sure if this will help anyone but, this worked for me. Bizarre.

I tried several fixes posted on various forums with no success. What workers for me was a simple workaround. I sent a Teams invitation from a different computer and different teams account (my wife's ) to my email. When I clicked on the invitation link is web based teams asked me if I want to use web or app. I clicked on app which then opened and asked me if I want to stay as a guess or sign in. When I clicked on sign in it allowed me to sign in under a new existing account. Since then it stayed logged on under the new account. 

@Ltoombs 

If you are using newer version of teams, there are different files to delete to clear cache:

rm -rf ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.teams
rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.teams2

Ref. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-mac-install-prerequisites#how-to-clear-ca...
Ah, good to know, I'll definitely check that out. I support three Mac Teams users at work and every other month I have to clear their preferences to make it stable again. Thank you!
how to disconnect other account? this is the crux of the problem.

The only really reliable way to clean broken but cached logins to the Teams App (classic and new) on the Mac, is the total reset of the login keychain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEB7QhoUR0Y

You might damage the saved logins on your iOS devices as well. Please check the video how to backup and restore the password.

The annoying thing with these cached credentials is actually, that the Teams App also caches more than just the user email and password. If users have been moved (with the same email) between AD tenants, or suddenly use a SAML SSO to get into their microsoft account, it will still revoke the cached original account attributes and logins will fail.

Microsoft, please watch the video!
It is so reproducible to break the Teams App.
And now to reset it.

@Kevin_Davis 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@Ltoombs 

In case anyone else has the issue that the login is broken or set to an account that no longer exists, remove the "Teams" folder from ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft (Finder - Go to Folder) and remove any "Teams Identity Cache" from Keychain access (search in the top right of the Keychain Access window). Restart Teams and it should prompt for login info.

View solution in original post