SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Notification Sounds - Can't turn off???

Iron Contributor

I work at a rather large organization and we just switched to using Microsoft Teams. So far it has been great but what is driving me nuts is the Notification for new messages. I can't find it anywhere to turn this annoying sound off.  When you have several coworkers all messaging you, I can't even wear headphones anymore it's gotten so bad.

And you can't even turn it off? My options are, "Call, Mention, and Chat" , "All", "Off"

How is these not separated? I would like it to be able to ring for calls but I don't need a BEEP every time someone messages me since I already get a banner and a flashing name. 

Please let me know if I am missing a setting somewhere. 

DVipe_0-1583840428074.png

42 Replies

@w1zk1d 

I do want Teams to "ding" me to get my attention when I receive messages during the rest of the day, and I don't want to have to turn on/off the dign'ing before and after meetings by editing a .wav file. Also, the pop-ups themselves are very distracting.

Microsoft, please do not close this with a half-assed solution or work-a-round!

+1. I don't like missing calls, but it's better than constant dinging. Separating would be most helpful
If (like me) you want to be able to hear your calls coming through but cannot be doing with the millions of 'Pings' for notifications throughout the day (and you have not figured this out already) make sure your "Play sound for incoming calls and notifications" is on and "Notification style" is switched to windows, you can then turn off the notification sounds for windows in the windows settings, the calls still come through teams and you can hear them but any chat notifications, mentions etc. come through the windows notifications and make no sounds, kind of a round about way, would be easier if Teams had separate sound settings for calls and notifications but this will have to do for now.

Hopefully this will help someone else.
Thanks!! So to clarify, after switching in the Action Center - Notifications, find the "Teams settings" I turned off "Play a sound when a notification arrives" and it still rings for phone calls! That's great. I was also able to turn off Banners there.
Of course, IM's are now also muted... So you have to train yourself to look for the notification dot. Banners are not a solution because I don't look at my screen a lot of the time, I just come back to it every half hour or so. This is why you can't let developers design the UI behavior, because they never take their eyes off their screens... Microsoft will apparently never learn this.
For unknown reasons, the Action Center - Notifications panel on my desktop does not show Microsoft Teams in the pick list? Is there another way to modify these settings?
They need to fix this. It's absurd that even in silent mode on an iPhone, the notification sounds for Teams STILL come through.

@RobMSP How did you fix this issue dear?

I cannot upvote this enough. The "functionality" was absurd to begin with. The fact that the original thread was put out almost 1.5 years ago and today, in Aug 2021 we are still having the same issue makes it absolutely bizzaire.
On another note, can you disable the banners? I've disabled the popups but I don't seem to be able to disable the banners. My work colleagues are very frivolous with their IMs.

Agree. When I have 100 colleagues turning up to a dpt meeting and all of them sign in saying "hello", I have 100 dings going off on my phone. Do I need to hear a notification for a simple "hello", "thanks", "bye"? Maybe something like a spam filter for "hello", or messages that are less than 15 characters long or something.

@RobMSP, Let's drive this issue to the top of the list. The extreme problem is the freaking sound that is used for a chat notification and the inability to change the sound to something else like a "mouse squeak" or a quiet chime. The current sound literally increases my blood pressure by several points. Especially when people in a chat type three or four words, then hit enter only to repeat this process a dozen times to complete their thought. (1 Thought should not EQUAL 12 DINGS!!!) much less 100 DINGS as D_Tetard mentioned above.

Muting notifications is an option, but not really. I still want to be notified that there is a new message, but far less intrusively. There is not enough granularity in the notifications. Teams should at minimum, have the same granularity of controlling notifications and sounds that Skype does. Especially BEFORE you replace Skype with Teams - oh wait, too late....

Please help us poor users maintain our sanity and blood pressure and give us the ability to control the notifications in more granular manner and change the sounds being used!

PLEASE!

Your fellow Teams user, Greg

If this issue isn't resolved soon, I will be lobbying my organisation to change software.

Microsoft, do your job! Listen to your users! Issue an update with notification sound control NOW!!!!

Yes, please. For the love of god please make this feature more convenient. It's like Microsoft purposely did this at this point.

Have a filter that will ding when you are @ in the conversation. That way it doesn't look like I'm intentionally ignoring everyone.

Or, have something that will allow the ding to stop if you can see the conversation but don't have the focus of the mouse on the Teams app.

Or, have something that will allow the ding to stop in a conversation except when you are @

Or, do anything to make the ding stop on a conversation that is constantly going. There is an email version which tells me when I have the Teams off and alerts me to new Teams messages. Could you please create a ding option where it only dings every 15 minutes or something?

I mean, at this point, it doesn't seem like Microsoft really cares about anything or anyone really. Just keep doing you I guess.
Notification options in this 'product' is abysmal. Not being able to separate message and call notifications? Not being able to turn off notifications while in a meeting? Are you kidding?
I solved it for me within the old Sound Part of the Control Panel.
Under "Sound Control Panel \ Sound \ Program Events", i cleared the Sound for these.
Windows:
- Notification
Skype for Business:
- Data Sharing Invitation
- Incoming IM
- New Message
Now i get a Sound for Calls, but nothing for Direct Messages or Group Chats.

@ScriptBob I am trying to figure this out using your steps below but cannot find the "program events" steps. The path I'm seeing is Control Panel - Hardware and Sound- Sound - Change System Sounds.....I dont see Microsoft Teams under this option. Not sure if I'm missing something

Hey @Alyssa_Jones,
i have uploaded an Image for you.
Best Regards

https://ibb.co/q1F6mXr
Same issue here, infuriating - I ended up removing the app as I was attending a digital conference overseas in a time zone 12 hrs offset from me - I needed sleep and could NOT turn the alert sounds off without completely silencing my phone. Microsoft - fix this!

You can disable your notification sounds by going to settings on your phone in the app. Click on your profile picture to get to settings. @DVipe