Microsoft Teams no longer allowing me to edit document in teams.

Copper Contributor

I have been using Teams for the past several months and have always been able to edit documents directly in the Teams app. For some reason now it won't let me edit. I can open the files online in a separate browser, but that defeats the purpose of using the app. Is there a setting somewhere where I can fix this? 

Thanks for any advice! 

8 Replies

Hi @brittanyshores , Microsoft made a change a few days ago to you can't edit document directly in Teams. You need to edit them from Office Online or from the desktop/mobile apps.

@David Gorman Thanks for your reply. I am using the desktop app and it's still not letting me edit. 

Hi @brittanyshores , apologies, I meant from the desktop/mobile Office apps Word/Excel, etc. You can't edit directly from any Teams app.

Do you have by chance different accounts on your setup? I'm having from time to time similar issues and normally they are related to the fact the wrong account is trying to open the document stored in Teams

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks for your reply. No, I'm logged into Teams and Sharepoint/OneDrive using the same account. 

Did they announce this somewhere? Have a link?

I am having the same issue. I can open but cannot edit any documents on Teams Web App. Desktop works fine, but i need to have two teams open at the same time. 

I was facing the same problem yeterday i uninstall my desktop app and re install it then i was able to edit the file in teams then again today im not able to open the file its just buffering