SOLVED

Microsoft Teams new calling and meeting experience

Copper Contributor

When will Microsoft Teams new calling and meeting experience be available? It's June 16 already????

It was published on May 9 and was to be rolled out in June.

https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&featureid=57294

Microsoft Teams - Multi-Window Meetings and Calling experiences

Multi-window experiences are coming to Teams meetings and calling. Users will have the ability to pop out meetings and calling into separate windows to help them optimize their workflow. These experiences can be turned on directly within Teams for PC and Mac clients.

• Featured ID: 57294
  • Added to Roadmap: 5/6/2020
  • Last Modified: 5/6/2020
  • Tags: General Availability, Microsoft Teams, Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant)
44 Replies

@tassenza Hello! It's now in testing! Follow the progress here (and vote to stay updated!).

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/37160077

Usually take the release date and don’t expect it till the end of the month or early the following month assuming it doesn’t get delayed. Still a few weeks in June left.

@Chris Webb Well, It's July 10 and still nothing.  No guidance as to when it will be available or why it was delayed.

@tassenza Why would you think? Teams releases features purely based on the passing certain testing gates, it'll only hit Ring 4 once Microsoft are confident it meets a suitable quality bar.

Why else wouldn't they release something, makes no sense.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@tassenza Here you go (partial copy from Message center).

Updated July 7, 2020: To ensure the best possible experience for our users, we are delaying some of our deployments to reduce the amount of change flowing into the services.

Please see the updated roll-out timeline below

We are pleased to announce that we will be enabling users to be able to view meetings and calls in separate windows along with the other recently announced features.

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 57294

This will roll-out OFF by default and users will have the ability to turn on the new experience via the user setting: General > Turn on new meetings and calling experiences.

Note: In the future we will enable this functionality by default, but we want to provide users extra time to become familiar with having meetings open in their own separate window. As we move forward we will provide more details via Message center.

Steps for Users to turn on the new experience:

Step 1: Click on Avatar on top right of Teams and click Settings.

Step 2: Check the Turn on new calling an meetings experiences check box and then restart the Teams client.

Note: To provide additional transparency we expect the new experiences to be enabled with the following timeline. This is subject to change and we will provide appropriate notice for each phase through Message Center as we approach July and August.

• June – New experiences are available and users can enable through settings.
  • July – Experiences are enabled by default and users can disable through settings.
  • August – Experiences are enabled by default and user controls are no longer available.

@Steven Collier Just looking for an update is all.  They throw out dates for functional releases and we never hear anything else until after it is released, weeks or months late.  The post from the MS admin says to stay tuned for updates in the next few weeks and about 7 weeks have passed with not one update at all.  Set some expectations, it's a small ask, isn't it?

@ChristianBergstrom I'm running  ---- You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.13565 (64-bit). It was last updated on 6/2/20.

So was this deployed or not? I do not see it in my settings...

Updated July 7, 2020: To ensure the best possible experience for our users, we are delaying some of our deployments to reduce the amount of change flowing into the services. -TA What are you delaying?

• June – New experiences are available and users can enable through settings. - I can not, this setting does not exist
  • July – Experiences are enabled by default and users can disable through settings. this setting does not exist for me.
  • August – Experiences are enabled by default and user controls are no longer available.

See attached

@tassenza Hey, it seems as if you missed this part.

"This is subject to change and we will provide appropriate notice for each phase through Message Center as we approach July and August."

All we can do is stay tuned for more info. As Steven pointed out, they can obviously not GA release something that hasn't passed the necessary quality assurances.

And as I said. Take release dates with a grain of salt and treat as they release it then at earliest for some and expect a few month for GA. Just how it’s been and I don’t expect it to change anytime soon.

@tassenza I do not have the option either!

We also do not have it yet.

Strange.  It is now available on two of my computers, but acts differently.   The newer computer has version 1.3.00.13565.   It has the pop-out Teams video window.  But the controls are in the same place, and background effects are no longer an option.   My older computer has version 1.3.00.12058.  That has the pop-out video window, the controls are at the top, and background effects is available.

I am baffled.

Typical. It still is not available to me at all. 1.3.00.19173 last updated TODAY 7/22/2020.
July 22. Still nothing.....

@tassenza we are seeing this as of today.

Have you checked your Teams settings -> General for the option the enable it?

I am checking for updates and the settings toggle literally multiple times every day. No joy so far.

Very frustrating.

The New meeting experience in Teams from Microsoft seems to be in review mode.

However, individual users can force enable it.

Under Teams User profile, click on About, then click on Developer preview, accept the prompted term and sign in to Teams if prompted.

Now go back to settings and you will see the option for New meeting experience.

Note that this setting does not persist.

You may have to go through the steps again to enable the feature.

I hope this helps.

@Mrdotz1205There is no option for Developer under About, but we do have the Turn On New Meeting Experience option, but when we select it and restart Teams, it's unchecked again (which I think is the correct behavior, actually) and nothing has changed. No new features that I can see, including Together mode.

@MikeJames72 I am seeing a similar behavior, but I have not heard of others in my organization complaining. (I am the manager of our IT Service Desk!). I can set the check box, "quit" Teams and restart and it works fine. I come back the next day and it is unset again. It's kinda frustrating when we are trying to demonstrate how to use new features and the new features don't work!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@tassenza Here you go (partial copy from Message center).

Updated July 7, 2020: To ensure the best possible experience for our users, we are delaying some of our deployments to reduce the amount of change flowing into the services.

Please see the updated roll-out timeline below

We are pleased to announce that we will be enabling users to be able to view meetings and calls in separate windows along with the other recently announced features.

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 57294

This will roll-out OFF by default and users will have the ability to turn on the new experience via the user setting: General > Turn on new meetings and calling experiences.

Note: In the future we will enable this functionality by default, but we want to provide users extra time to become familiar with having meetings open in their own separate window. As we move forward we will provide more details via Message center.

Steps for Users to turn on the new experience:

Step 1: Click on Avatar on top right of Teams and click Settings.

Step 2: Check the Turn on new calling an meetings experiences check box and then restart the Teams client.

Note: To provide additional transparency we expect the new experiences to be enabled with the following timeline. This is subject to change and we will provide appropriate notice for each phase through Message Center as we approach July and August.

• June – New experiences are available and users can enable through settings.
  • July – Experiences are enabled by default and users can disable through settings.

View solution in original post