SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Mac OSX: Authentication: Auth incomplete after 10 minutes

Copper Contributor

Hey everyone,

I am having an issue setting up Teams on a 'new' (to me) Mac. This Mac has been cleaned with a fresh install of 10.15.7 (Catalina) and is sitting next to my older Mac. Teams is working on the older Mac (and my nearby Windows 10 PC, and my iPhone) but on the new Mac, it is reporting the following from it's log.txt file:

Mon Jan 25 2021 13:40:25 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- info -- eHrdService: Response received successfully 
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:40:25 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- event -- protocol: https:, status: success, scenario: ba8b7c38-5be8-49cc-b360-ac0779ef2c02, scenarioName: desktop_launch_unknown_protocol, name: desktop_launch_unknown_protocol, step: start, sequence: 0, delta: 0, scenarioDelta: 0, elapsed: 13312, stepDelta: 0, vdiMode: 0, eventpdclevel: 2, Scenario.Name: desktop_launch_unknown_protocol, Scenario.Step: start, Scenario.Status: success,  
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:40:25 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- event -- protocol: https:, status: success, scenario: ba8b7c38-5be8-49cc-b360-ac0779ef2c02, scenarioName: desktop_launch_unknown_protocol, name: desktop_launch_unknown_protocol, step: stop, sequence: 1, delta: 0, scenarioDelta: 0, elapsed: 13312, stepDelta: 0, vdiMode: 0, eventpdclevel: 2, Scenario.Name: desktop_launch_unknown_protocol, Scenario.Step: stop, Scenario.Status: success,  
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:42:12 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- event -- status: timeout, scenario: 12dde392-d4c1-44dc-9af3-25c8c282ac03, scenarioName: desktop_app_load, name: desktop_app_load, step: stop, sequence: 1, delta: 120003, scenarioDelta: 120003, elapsed: 120096, stepDelta: 120003, vdiMode: 0, eventpdclevel: 1, Scenario.Name: desktop_app_load, Scenario.Step: stop, Scenario.Status: timeout,  
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:42:24 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- event -- status: timeout, scenario: 7c731537-4b06-4652-8678-10692ab44426, scenarioName: desktop_upn, name: desktop_upn, step: stop, sequence: 1, delta: 120006, scenarioDelta: 120006, elapsed: 131933, stepDelta: 120006, vdiMode: 0, eventpdclevel: 3, Scenario.Name: desktop_upn, Scenario.Step: stop, Scenario.Status: timeout,  
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:50:12 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- info -- Starting daemon App updates 
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:50:13 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- event -- name: desktop_auth_incomplete_timeout, url: , vdiMode: 0, eventpdclevel: 3,  
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:50:13 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- error -- Authentication: Auth incomplete after 10 minutes of no response from url  
Mon Jan 25 2021 13:59:51 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time) <852> -- info -- before-quit event raised. Closing the app. 

With a clean install of Teams, I get to the login window and enter my email address. From there it asks me if this is a school/work account or my personal one - I select school/work. At that point it holds for just over 10 minutes before I get the messages noted above. I have tried cleaning the ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams folder a few times. I have also reset/changed my Office 365 login (which is tied to our domain login). Nothing has worked. Logging in and out of my other Teams instances has been fine and operating as expected.

Has anyone experienced this and can point me in the direction of a fix? I would like to be able to give up my older Mac to another employee.

6 Replies

@dwpenney 

Hello,

I also had quite a few authentication issues on Teams on Mac Os with the new version of Catalina. If ever this article can help you solve your problem, I tested them on my end and it works, it's like a reboot of the application in a more thorough way : https://www.oto-technology.fr/resolved-macos-teams-does-not-answer-and-does-not-open/

Let me know if this solution works for you

Best !

Hello @Alexversak65 

Thank you for your response. I did try almost all of the steps in that page for the clean re-install.  I did not see any change in the behaviour from what I was experiencing before. Same error in the logs.

On my other Mac, I am running the same version of Catalina ... which makes this error weird.

A couple of points that did not match up from the article you linked:

- In my keychain, there is no mention of Teams. I am not sure I am getting through to the servers far enough for the authentication to complete. I am getting prompted for my username but not reaching the part where I am asked for my password;

- I did not do was upgrade to Bug Sur yet ... but maybe I have to try that to rule it out as well;

I updated to Big Sur and the issue still remains. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@For anyone that can help, I did a complete factory reset of the new Mac and as soon as it booted, I tried to install Teams - nothing else. Same issue. How can I get support for Teams?

Is this the empty echo-chamber of a new user getting not much in the way of help? I am surprised by this.

best response confirmed by dwpenney (Copper Contributor)
Solution

For future users searching and somehow stumbling on this thread though search engine magic the issue is now resolved. I spent a few hours on the phone with a Microsoft Tech Support Rep and we found that decoupling the 'Personal' account from the 'Work/School' account was the key. In my case, my work address had both assigned to it (due to a configuration/update problem with our IT group a few years ago).

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dwpenney (Copper Contributor)
Solution

For future users searching and somehow stumbling on this thread though search engine magic the issue is now resolved. I spent a few hours on the phone with a Microsoft Tech Support Rep and we found that decoupling the 'Personal' account from the 'Work/School' account was the key. In my case, my work address had both assigned to it (due to a configuration/update problem with our IT group a few years ago).

View solution in original post