SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Exploratory - Not Working as I thought. Can't Schedule a Meeting

Copper Contributor

This article "Manage the Microsoft Teams Exploratory license" suggests that when you assign the licence to a Guest user, they should be able to schedule a meeting. However, this hasn't been working so well for me.

So from the screenshot below, a guest is invited and active in Azure AD and is assigned the Teams Exploratory licence which has with it other licences as shown in the screenshot. However the user doesn't have the ability to schedule a meeting.

From the Guests Teams window, there is no option to schedule a meeting...just to start a meeting which I believe exists even without the Teams Exploratory licence.

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png 

I've asked them to try installing the Outlook Teams Plug-in to see if they would get the option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

@Richard_Panton 

I´m having the same problem. Did you have any luck finding an solution?

Best regards,

Eduardo

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Eduardo_Teixeira 

Yes - found 2 ways of getting this to work.

First way - I created a user within my organization giving them an email address from my domain. When it came to assigning licences, i assigned them a Teams Exploratory licence and everything worked well.

Second way I just discovered and is probably better than the first.

Once you have a Guest User that has already created an account in your Azure Directory, you can go to your Azure Admin Centre (https://aad.portal.azure.com/), search for that user and then under Licence, assign the Teams Exploratory Licence. This works well as you don't have to give them an email address from your entity.

Ensure that in AAD when looking at the user, under the Source column, it should say External Azure Active Directory and not "Invited user". Invited User means they haven't completed the account setup steps.  

You may get an error that the user doesn't have a Usage Location, you'll have to edit that under the User Settings as well.

External User.pngLicences and Usage Location.png

Lastly, you can create a Guest User from within AAD and assign the Teams Exploratory licence from there. So instead of doing it from within regular Microsoft 365 Admin Centre, do it from AAD Portal. 

I hope that helps.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Eduardo_Teixeira 

Yes - found 2 ways of getting this to work.

First way - I created a user within my organization giving them an email address from my domain. When it came to assigning licences, i assigned them a Teams Exploratory licence and everything worked well.

Second way I just discovered and is probably better than the first.

Once you have a Guest User that has already created an account in your Azure Directory, you can go to your Azure Admin Centre (https://aad.portal.azure.com/), search for that user and then under Licence, assign the Teams Exploratory Licence. This works well as you don't have to give them an email address from your entity.

Ensure that in AAD when looking at the user, under the Source column, it should say External Azure Active Directory and not "Invited user". Invited User means they haven't completed the account setup steps.  

You may get an error that the user doesn't have a Usage Location, you'll have to edit that under the User Settings as well.

External User.pngLicences and Usage Location.png

Lastly, you can create a Guest User from within AAD and assign the Teams Exploratory licence from there. So instead of doing it from within regular Microsoft 365 Admin Centre, do it from AAD Portal. 

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post