SOLVED

Microsoft Teams crashes my entire Internet connection after starting a meeting

Copper Contributor

Strange problem here, that is tough to comprehend. First off I have a line-of-sight ISP that uses LTE service to broadcast Internet. So its not DSL/Cable, etc.  But the advertised speed is 60 mbps download and 10 upload. 

When I start a teams meeting with Video and/or sharing and it has more than a couple of people on, the performance is crystal clear, however after about 5-10 minutes into the meeting, my Teams meeting loses the connection, and worse my entire internet goes down meaning all internet to the house is down. It takes 10-20 minutes to get reestablished (bounce the router, reestablish ips ect.).  This it through multiple months of testing, but its clear this is what is happening and that the outage is caused by running a MS Teams meeting. 

All other aspects of the my internet connection and using other tools are fine... I can stream TV, movies, 4k, all other office apps work fine... I can use Teams all day chatting, etc. just not a video meetings. I don't believe there has been a problem using zoom or google meet (which my wife uses for work). 

The problem was noticed as soon as I starting working from home in March 2020. 

I have worked with my company helpdesk (testing to see if the Pro set wireless drivers were at fault) and with my ISP, and there has not been a root cause or solution found... 

I will note too, my workaround is to use a tethered connection to my phone which is on cricket wireless (as a hotspot).  The performance of that connection is 1mbps or less and the video quality is not great, but the MS Teams connection is stable and does not crash....I only get 2-3 bars signal, and by all accounts, one would think this connection would be the problem over my primary ISP.... 

Hoping there is a solution or something that can be tweaked out there...

Setup:

Dell E5570 - Windows 10 (problem occurred on both 8.1 and upgraded 10) - problem duplicated on an older E6420

Archer C9 - AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

38 Replies

@jeffn22 I had this problem when I used mobile version of ms teams on Android. Internet connection disappears right away after connecting to the call and appears after disconnecting. So you cannot call it as "router problem", it is straightly related to ms teams application.

@Jared327 

Faced the same issues every time during the video conference with MS Teams as with Google Meet, router just hangs up. It does not matter what I use, Laptop, Tablet, Application, web version, after less than 5 minutes, connection just stop. Or as described by s.o. else, I see the person, but he doesn´t see or hear me. Once or twice it helped to stop my camera to keep the router somehow stable, but the connection was bad, with interruptions and delays.

And every time I need to restart router to reestablish the WiFi.

Router is  Huawei E5372 4G / Vodafone R215

The Iphone with its 4G saved me.

@nbinney After trying many different things, the issue stopped occurring after we replaced the customer's router with a different brand.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Having the same issue. Been going on for a couple months. I have to do is disconnect from my wireless connection and automatically reconnect after 3 munites.
My laptop everything is fine. It is very annoying and only happens when I am on a teams meeting. Another device connected with WiFi and using all Internet activaties when teams is disconnected.
Is it Internet problem?
Bandwidth problem?
But my anothers user using Internet in another purpose in same network
I had the same issue for several months, Wifi AP connection going down for few seconds to a minute (sometimes reconnected quickly, sometimes not, with Mikrotik AP). My solution was changing to Ethernet. Judging from the performance issues as well (Teams killing cpu) Microsoft has a lot of problems with Teams and the focus is on features and changing look and feel every month or two so I suggest changing to Eth being simple solution. Perhaps experiment with other AP if you can perhaps you find a workaround, I didn't have several lying around to test with.

@Jared327   very similar issues.  MS Teams video call seems to cause my internet connection to fail.  Surface Laptop 3 & 4 both the same behaviour.  Both connect via USB C to a wired ethernet.  When it happens I disconnect the wired option and it reverts to wireless and all is fine.  So lots of similar issues.  At work the hub is connected via the USB A connection on the Surface Laptop and it doesn't happen.  Could be the USB C hub (Unitek), a Huawei HG 659 router, the laptops or the a switch.  The USB -C connection makes the most sense.

Have the same problem. Am on a macbook 2020, i5 2 GHz Quad-core, 16 RAM. I’m running windows through parallels, but other than teams it works as a charm. The macbook only has USB-C outlets, so it’s either Ethernet through USB-C or Wifi. Seems crazy that I would constantly need to change from a 1 Gbit/s Ethernet connection to a Wifi (about 200 Mbit/s) connection just for this freaking Teams. Does anyone have a solution? Preferably Microsoft by fixing this issue?

@Jared327 
Dear all, The problem described using a mobile LTE router connection to Teams service is also craching in Sweden using TELE2 ISP (Mobile operator). I can use mobile phone (Apple 8) or iPAD4 no problems with teams connection. However, using a mobile broadband router the connection goes down after 10-20 minutes into the meeting and entire internet connection freeze. 
We have a global Teams pandemic problem

@Jared327 

Hi All,

I have experienced a very similar problem for weeks on end until I have finally solved it by setting up my WiFi networks a bit differently in my Bell Fibe 2000 access point.

Background: My main SSID (let’s call it “MyHomeNetwork” was set up to use any one of both WiFi bands indiscriminately (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz). The secondary SSID (“Guest”) works only at 2.4GHz. After a bit of research, I learned that the 2.4GHz band is the most used in general, by all kinds of connected devices, and that it can get pretty crowded and become susceptible to interference. I was able to verify that fact and I noticed that my neighbors are very connected, especially at 2.4GHz.

The main WiFi network on the 2000 access point can be set to use: 2.4GHz only, 5.0GHz only or both bands. In addition, if you set it to use both bands, you can choose to set a single SSID name or two different names. Even if you set two different SSIDs for the two bands on the main network, it will act transparently as single network, and devices that connect to different frequency bands will “see” each other. Password settings have no influence (same or different).

Experiment: I tried disabling the 2.4GHz band while keeping the same SSID and password. My next video sessions worked fine, with no dropouts. After a few hours, though, I noticed that my printers, thermostat and a few more devices were no longer able to connect, because they can only work at 2.4GHz.

Solution: I created and assigned a different SSID to each band of the main network. I called them “MyHomeNetwork_2.4GHz” and “MyHomeNetwork_5.0GHz”. I reconnected my devices to the most optimal band that each one was capable of (obviously 5.0GHz for my laptop) and everything has worked flawlessly ever since. At least 100 hours of Teams and Zoom without a hiccup.

I hope that helps some of you.

@lglefebvre I'm glad it works for you!

Last time I tried it was still crashing on me about a couple of weeks ago (by mistake I didn't use ethernet as the wire was connected to a test machine). I mostly use a 5GHz AP here on my Mikrotik (I have 2 separate ones for 2.4 and 5) but 1 or 2 years ago when we started home office, I tried both frequencies and it didn't help me. Another place I was getting these Wifi disconnects was at my parents place using a Huawei T provided router (I believe that was 2.4 only).

So by all means people, try 5ghz only AP or what you can think of, but to some people this occurs and Teams client is still causing network disconnection, and heavy performance issues. Since this started, Teams is still the worst piece of software I use.

@Jared327 

What works for me was disabling "Network" optimization from Dell Optimizer tools.

I have a Dell Precision with WIndows 11.

I had a drop in connection everytime I would open Microsoft Teams, and it will persist even if I close the app or the web tab (from 400 Mbps to 0.5Mbps).

I tried everything from : 

- updating drivers

- updating dock driver (USB connection to my laptop)

- disabling IPV6

- trying with and without AWS VPN

- tried the web app instead of desktop app for Teams

- Windows Update

- Dell Command Update

- Office 325 Update

- trying Wifi 2.4 and 5GHz

- trying direct Ethernet connection from router

Found out there were artificial intelligence from Dell on the network that was "Give maximum bandwith to the conference app I'm using". I disabled the option and my connection was normal again.

@Jared327 I've had similar issues with random network dropout using the Microsoft teams desktop application on a Dell (Lenovo 7420) laptop, and I've tried different computers on different networks, with and without vpn connection, both at home and at work with random network dropout result.

My solution, which has worked flawless, was to uninstall the desktop application and use the web client... But, make sure to use Google Chrome since Microsoft Edge has the same issues.

I hope that helps.

Setup: Dell Latitude 7420 - Windows 10 20H2.

I and all my team facing issue similar to this. We are using Microsoft Team App on Windows. Once we start a team call after some time Chrome or Edge browser whatever is opened does not load any website. So we have to close down the browser and open again to browse a website. We don't face any issue with Team meeting etc. everything works fine. It's just browsers stop working. 

I have also been experiencing this issue. Randomly Wi-FI adapter reports "No Internet Connection" and using the troubleshooting wizard to reset the adapter restores the problem. Wi-Fi is completely stable (for days on end) as long as Teams is not running. However, once Teams is started up then the random disconnects occur without any discernible pattern or provocation. I have two Wi-Fi adapters on my laptop, and the problem occurs with both the built-in adapter and an external Netgear model. Problem seems internal to Windows networking stack.

@Jared327 

I was having a similar issue. Teams / Skype / Google Meet calls crashing my internet, and it seemed to be worse when I shared a screen or had camera on. I isolated the problem to a USB-c hub I was using to bring internet / monitor / headset connections to my computer. The device spec. did not support the dual monitor at anything above 30 Hz refresh. I upgraded to a Dell hub with adequate spec. (5x the price) and the problem seems to be resolved. 

Same problem. Three years later. Netherlands. LTE router from Fritz. iPhone 14. When taking wifi from fritz box after about 10 minutes traffic is cut. when taking wifi from iPhone no problem. Same provider even same subscription (Vodafone with multiple sims in one subscription.
Why is Microsof not helping here?

Same exact problem here as well! 
Xfinity 1.2Gb

NetGear CM1050V

FortiGate 60E

Ubiquiti 8-Port PoE

Ubquiti WiFi-6 Lite Ceiling mounted APs

5GhZ band used primarily

MacBook Teams thick client latest edition 

only happens on WiFi. If I use an external StarLink dongle 1Gb wired connection no issues. But what's crazy is that just as everyone said - when it crashes it literally brings my entire WiFi network offline and sometimes even all Internet access all together.

there has to be some COS flag Teams is using that the ISPs are reading and misinterpreting - because if this were any of my gear I don't understand how a piece of software should be able to bring a network to its knees unless it's malware.

@microsoft  - can we turn off teams SIP, COS, etc flags to test my theory?

@Dupre299 

same problem here as well. It's cost me many hours trying to locate the issue and fix this. Any resolution from @microsoft would help as this has been an issue for years now.