Microsoft Teams converting chat with external users to workspace/#channel?

Copper Contributor

I have a group chat going using Microsoft Teams, works well enough, most of the users are external and using the free version of Teams, but the Chat can be at times too active, too many topics/threads going on at once, so I would like evolve it to something of a Group workspace with #channels.  Some questions:

1. Is there anything automated to convert a group chat to a workspace (putting the existing stuff into say #general)

2. If not #1, what is the process for setting up a Team with the same members as the group chat.  Do I have to set up an Office365 Group?  Can that include non-domain members?  Can that be done from the free Teams app, or is that an Office365 for business sort of thing?

2 Replies
Hi!
My two cents heres:
1. No, there is not...but of course with some programming skills / a programmer with the proper skills this could be achieved
2. Just create a Team where you add corporate users and guests users. Yes, this can be done with Teams Free

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

OK, thanks.

When I look at the left hand side bar, there are no Teams or similar showing:

pwjone1_0-1629027757778.png

Just the Activity (Bell), Chat (message icon), and Calendar icons.

Apparently, from the setup demos, there should be more icons.  Probably an account or setting thing.  Anyone know what's wrong?