Microsoft Teams client OneNote tab shows no content

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Teams client OneNote tab shows no content. We can open same onenote in browser or in onenote client application.

It is not showing only in Teams desktop app.

12 Replies
I think you need to provide more information. Noting that - Teams Desktop app OneNote tab shows content - OneNote in browser doesn't show any - nor does OneNote application First things that come to mind - did you open the browser version via "earth/globe" -button in Teams OneNote tab? - did you open the desktop OneNote from Teams OneNote" tab "open in desktop application If Teams OneNote has content and the others don't: it feels like there are two different OneNote Notebooks - or you might be looking different section/pages? I don't think OneNote inside Teams is caching the content a lot --> it syncs it to the cloud.

@Abhilash_S 

We have a similar problem. In OneNote App on WIndows or iOS a notebook opens with all sections/tabs colored from the beginning and selectable. In OneNote online the sections/tabs are initially grayed out, but when you select one it's loading the specific page and gets coloured/shows the page. In OneNote within the Teams desktop app (on both windows and iOS) all sections/tabs are grayed out and stay grayed out (not selectable). This only happens on a limited number of notebooks.

Can you add that problematic book to another channel in a team? Are there any changes to user permissions in teams / folders?
I would start experimenting with a new team and new onenote, checking onenote locations and permissions, browser authentication etc.

@Vesa Nopanen 

We've tried copying a notebook with this problem to another team, Still the problem remains. We can copy some onenote files and recreate a notebook which we can use. If all files are in place the problem returns. Is there a maximum size in notebooks within the Teams client?

I am not aware about the maximum size. I would check copied notebook permissions first.
Have you tried to use the new notebook and then use OneNote app to copy sections to it from the old notebook?

We have the same issue.

We can open everything without a problem on OneNote online/app, but when trying to open the notebook in teams it fails.

The notebook was created in teams though.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Daniel

With the latest update of the Teams desktop client the problem has disappeared  and all of the OneNote for classroom files can be used within the Teams client.

I am glad you got a solution! Then this was a desktop client problem after all.

We are having same issue today, we have a onenote tab on one of our team channels but the content is blank today. We can see the onenote file with our data within our files but the data is not appearing on teams, please advise?  @Vesa Nopanen 

@G0005 

We had to contact support, they rebuilt the database. Didn't have any problems again since then.

@G0005 

I had the same experience with a number of OneNote files after a migration between two tenants. It started out of nowhere and was resolved after we installed a newer version of the Teams desktop client. We could see the data in Onenote desktop client and in the webbased Teams client as a workaround for the time being.

Do you know what version of Teams solved this issue? @Robbio