Microsoft Teams Call Volume too Quiet

Brass Contributor

My company recently switched to Microsoft Teams for our conference calls, and an issue I'm having involves call volumes when taking calls over headphones vs. laptop speakers.

I typically take calls through my headphones, where volume changes work as expected.  However, if I disconnect my headphones to listen to the meeting through the laptop speakers, the volume changes.  For a split-second the volume will be at the correct level, and immediately afterwards will reduce so low that it's almost impossible to hear (think listening to headphones without having them in your ears).

Despite this, my computer and Teams both claim the volume is at 100%, but this can't possibly be true.  Any suggestions?

70 Replies
I'm having the same issue, the link is absolutely useless
there is only the MacBooks own speakers as an option so it is the correct device, I can't hear my teachers as I type notes
I'm on a laptop so I don't have a speaker like it is on the phone
I'm having this exact issue
same

I just get a new Dell laptop with the Teams version 1.3.00.28779 in wich I have the loo volume issue, but in the my actual laptop, an HP with Teams version 1.3.00.30866, I dont have the issue, maybe its a Team version problem or a Dell laptop problem.

Check on your Dell laptop in system startup if the Waves Max Audio driver is loaded. Then disable it and restart. For my Dell laptop that fixed the problem. In my case it was not only Teams. Also in Zoom I had the issue. 

@Waaromikniet  You are right! I disable Waves MaxxAudio and the problem it´s solved. Thanks for the help!

@Ian_Lewczynski   Solution on my computer was this option in sound control panel -> communications tab. I can't remember if this is default or if I set it at some point but we want to 'do nothing' rather than 'Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%'

urmom2021_0-1611192983271.png

@urmom2021  @Ian_Lewczynski 

IT guy here, was troubleshooting this issue for one of my users and came across this thread - urmom2021's solution was absolutely the answer.  As soon as we disabled that setting the volume nearly blew his ears out. 

Seems like somehow that windows function treats MS Teams voice communication call like something it's supposed to reduce by 80% due to a... voice communication.     gotta love it

@Ian_Lewczynski  -- IT at my company installed an earlier version of the audio driver on my PC from the dell website and it fixed it: Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_5CH91_WIN_6.0.8960.1_A02.EXE. Hoping the fix sticks. I also had problems with zoom being quiet as well, but haven't tested this yet.

Hi

I've just manage to solve the issue by going into

Sound Settings in the laptop.

then i went to Sound control panel. 

then click on Properties and click on Advanced tab

then i changed the current setting to be 16 bit, 44100 Hz

I exited a meeting and re-entered and it was working just fine. however i haven't restarted the laptop yet as the meeting is still on!

i hope this helps

thank you

Juan

@mkelly2021 

Thanks urmon.
That's been driving me nuts for a while.
Simple fix.
The default is indeed Reduce by 80%
Set to Do Nothing. Issue solved.
Many thanks

@astevebennett My solution was to get into speaker settings, speaker properties, advanced, Signal Enhancements. then untick Enable audio enhancements. You have to redo this on every call though which is a pain

Spoiler

Same - we have a number of W10 Lenovo hardware users complaining of this. Zoom fine, Teams needs to turned up to full.

@DazzaR @Ian_Lewczynski @urmom2021 My manager I support came to me this morning with this issue.  We use Lenovo ThinkPads and her audio volume is so low in Microsoft Teams, she cannot attend her meetings efficiently. Works fine with Zoom app and all other applications. Issue is only with Teams. 

@urmom2021 THANK YOU!!! THIS WORKED!

I experienced the same problem too. Here's the fix that worked for me. Open settings, type speakers in the search field, click on "Audio Settings", trun on the "Mono" option.

@ChristopherSchutte 

Had the same exact issue on my 2021 iPad Pro and oftenly happened when I am on split screen… when I need to change the volume and it suddenly changed to near impossible volume and tried everything and could not resolve it.. it’s getting annoying how seeing this problem has been occurring since last year (based on other comments here) until now and it remains unsolved. Hopefully Microsoft would take such actions not only for laptop but other devices as well.