SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Black screen

Copper Contributor

The app just turn black when i start it. i tried to uninstall e reinstall, clear chache, change account ecc nothing worked. I can use it via web but not from the app

34 Replies

@Mattel575 Same here for me. Teams goes black after a device sleep and can be brought back to normal by exiting and restarting.

@castrazozza  same here, still not working correcty. @ms please fix this.

@David_Rounds Thanks very much. That works!

@castrazozza  I HAVE THE EXACT SMAE PROBLEM, exept i cant still use it, as in i have a balck screen but where the x button is i can still press it and close the app... hmm

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@castrazozza 

A solution that works for me and does not require computer restart:
1. Hit `Win+R` to open a console prompt.
2. Kill all processes that have teams in their name with this command:

taskkill /IM "teams*" /F

3. Launch Teams.

This works for me. Thanks @ChrisD1610.
Fantastic! This worked well for me. Thanks!
Wow! That's a great observation, and I just realized that's what happened to me too. If only the microsoft developers knew about this.
Thanks @CharisD1610, your solution really solves the annoying black screen for me!

@ChrisD1610 

IT also seems to work to find the teams in the notification area, right click and choose "quit" and then restart teams

mortb_0-1623847065908.png

@Support Recently had this Teams screen goes black problem on my laptop - while plugged into a docking station, and in a Teams call, the screen would go black. Teams is still running but of course it's impossible to get it onto the other screen or do anything. Sometimes closing the lid worked. Other times not. 

This bug has persisted for over a year. Don't you think it's time you fixed it! 

Can You call Christine Horton right now.
Close All Processes and Restart Teams
Log out of your Teams account.
Launch the Task Manager and locate all Microsoft Teams processes running in the background.
Right-click on each process and select End task.
Close the Task Manager app and launch Teams again. Log in and check if the app window is still black.

Regards,
Will
The article had a fix that worked for me. See "8. DELETE THE SETTINGS.JSON FILE".

1. quit teams
2. renamed the file to hide it from Teams.
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams
3. restart Teams
4. put computer to sleep
5. wake it up, problem solved

I suspect the problem was due to my successful upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11.