SOLVED

Microsoft Teams apps

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have an issue I am hoping can be resolved but not sure if Microsoft teams has the capability.

For my place of work, it is required that staff complete or are in compliance with trainings/tests before they are able to work certain shifts. I am wondering first if apps "communicate" with one another, such as Microsoft shifts and Microsoft forms? 

If so, if there a way to restrict staff from requesting shifts on Microsoft shifts until the assignment is completed on Microsoft forms? I realize that I have to give approval to the request and could also check forms to see if they are in compliance before approving but didn't know if there was a way to automate this?

For Microsoft forms, is it possible to mandate an assignment/test? I saw a deadline option where after a certain date staff cannot submit the form, but was wondering if there is a way to restrict their utilization of the app until they complete the assignment? Or at the very least for Microsoft forms to send out automatic reminders that they need to complete the assignment?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you,

1 Reply
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@KRife730 I don't see this much as a Teams capability, but more as a combination of multiple technologies. There are multiple approaches possible depending on your specific setup, I'll give some options with my own assumptions.

Option 1

Assumption: Shifts are linked to a Teams team, users can only be part of this team when they completed the form

• You create the Microsoft Forms (or Pro) form
  • You create a Power Automate flow/Logic App with trigger "Forms -> When a new response is received".
  • Populate the flow to extract the user from the response, and add it to the Teams team
  • The user can start scheduling shifts.

Option 2

Assumption: Shifts are linked to a Teams team, and users are already in the team. Users ALWAYS need to complete the Form first, there is no difference for shifts in one team vs shifts in another team.

• You create two App Permission Policies in Teams Admin Center. One containing the Shifts app and another one that doesn't contain it.
  • You assign the "no Shifts app" policy to all your users
  • You create a Power Automate flow/Logic App with trigger "Forms -> When a new response is received".
  • Populate the flow to extract the user from the response, and trigger an Azure Automation runbook (maybe Azure Function?)
  • You create this Azure Automation runbook/Azure Function that runs the Teams Powershell module to assign the "with Shifts app" policy to this specific user.

I hope this sets you an your way to find a solution.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@KRife730 I don't see this much as a Teams capability, but more as a combination of multiple technologies. There are multiple approaches possible depending on your specific setup, I'll give some options with my own assumptions.

Option 1

Assumption: Shifts are linked to a Teams team, users can only be part of this team when they completed the form

• Populate the flow to extract the user from the response, and add it to the Teams team
  • The user can start scheduling shifts.

Option 2

Assumption: Shifts are linked to a Teams team, and users are already in the team. Users ALWAYS need to complete the Form first, there is no difference for shifts in one team vs shifts in another team.

• You create two App Permission Policies in Teams Admin Center. One containing the Shifts app and another one that doesn't contain it.
  • You assign the "no Shifts app" policy to all your users
  • Populate the flow to extract the user from the response, and trigger an Azure Automation runbook (maybe Azure Function?)
  • You create this Azure Automation runbook/Azure Function that runs the Teams Powershell module to assign the "with Shifts app" policy to this specific user.

I hope this sets you an your way to find a solution.

View solution in original post