SOLVED

Microsoft stream - Only recording sound and not recording screen share

Microsoft

Hi.

I tried to record a meeting but it only recorded the audio and people's teams photos/any live webcam footage people were sharing. It did not capture screen sharing of a presentation.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks

33 Replies

Thank you so much. @celen2020 We really appreciate your prompt reply and efforts for a solution. 

@Michel Bosch 

Bad News. I just completed a 90 minute session. Teams only recorded audio and 2 windows

I have this problem to - did a live session with students and had two presenters. recorded audio of presenters but none of the screen share..... how do we fix this please, quite a major issue from a quality perspective.... am guessing people might not be reporting this if they aren't checking their recordings....... therefore the true quantity of recordings affected will not be known......

@Michel Bosch  failed yesterday afternoon - 40 minute meeting, only recorded our faces / no screen sharing...

@rshapiro Just checked the Streams on our site and there are ±40 new meetings published today and all with screen sharing enabled.

If you are not the admin, then you could ask your admin to make an support case about it.  They can do it through the Microsoft 365 admin portal. Really easy and you get a quick response from an Microsoft employee.

@Joel_Feinstein  - I did that - and still the recording only has the static pictures and voices. 

No screen sharing. 

@SimonaMargarint @Linus Cansby   @JoelFergusonFalmouth  @sjordan  @doubleope  @MegiStojku @ICT-ANRO @rshapiro @smileyfacehalo @HildurB 

Hey Guys,

My colleague issued the following advice. I'd love to hear if this works for you...

Start the recording before sharing your screen. Once you’ve stopped the recording, please don’t hang up the meeting yourself (if you’re the one who has started the recording) until it has saved otherwise it stops saving [I think this is why we end up with audio only and not video].

Saving does take some time particularly if it’s a longer recording. Be patient!! You can see whether it has saved by looking in the meeting chat. All the participants can leave the meeting; the ‘recorder’ just needs to make sure they stay in until the meeting has recorded. Only when it says recording has saved can you exit the meeting. [So there should be two messages in the chat. One to say that the recording has stopped and a second to say that the recording is ready.]

Hope this helps. If not, please let me know.

@Linus Cansby 

Hi Linus,

I just did a 90 minute lecture on Teams, recorded the session with 15 students. After the video was uploaded to Streams, the video cut out after 3/4 minutes, but it still recorded the audio. I don't want to record another 90 minute session to find out the same problem is going to happen again. I really need this application to work. Is my recording completely gone now? Do I have to record it again?

There was also another incident in the middle of the recording where feedback was coming back across my speakers, no other microphones were on (I checked) and no one else could hear it.

If I can't get confirmation that it is fixed and it won't happen again, then I'm going to have to use another platform and recommend my organisation to the same thing. I don't have time to be re-recording sessions due to poor applications.

-Mike

Nothing reported in Message Center that it is an ongoing problem, but it could be something for your tenant. Office 365 Admins can check Message Center. If not they can contact Microsoft Support about the recording that was cut.

@Felix_A 

My recordings have started working fine (for now at least). I have tried various combinations of things (starting screen share before/after starting recording, leaving the meeting before stopping the recording, ...) and nothing broke. (I did get a warning that the recording stopped unexpectedly, but the full 70-minute recording was there.)

Until I came back here, I thought the problem was solved!

@Linus Cansby

I encountered the same issue wherein the recording did not work on April 3rd. If you are saying that this may be "specific tenant" issue.  My location was Sydney Australia and my meeting attendees are in Manila Philippines. Since we all need to find resolution to this issue what information do we need to share the Teams technical experts to troubleshoot the issue.  I would say all information are kept via Microsoft Azure and should be able to retrieve that way.  

Same for me. Live event this morning but only records audio and not the whole event. How am I meant to sell this solution to customers when it does not work.  

Microsoft can't and may not access your information in the your Tenant without to proper authorization that you need to give them. At least that is in our situation.
The best way to contact support is through the Microsoft 365 admin portal, https://admin.microsoft.com and click the ? at the top right corner next to your name.
I did it a few times and within 30 minutes or so you will be contacted by a support engineer to ask for the details.

3 April there was a message in the admin health center where it said that there was a problem with recordings. The message was closed on 3 April and it should be fixed. I can't find any more message that there was a "known" problem with recorded meetings.
If you still have these problems I would suggest to create a support call.

@Michel Bosch 

I had the same issue; below are the details.

Time recorded: Wednesday, November 17, 2021, 12:07:56 AM

Impact: It's a training video that will be shared with the new onboarding employees.

Please help.

Thank you.