SOLVED

Microsft Teams Licensing (Phone Device)

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

We are a small company and use MS Teams for all of our Telecom needs.  I have an old Polycom VVX 410 (Teams compatible) that I would like to setup in our conference room as the shared phone for meetings.

My question is, what is the bare minimum license I would need to get to enable that phone for call-out only?  We should never have the need for inbound calls.

Thanks

EG

8 Replies

You need to license the user that you will login with to you Polycom device with the Microsoft Phone system license that can be included in the M365 E5 in case you have it and the calling plan license, domestic for local calls and international for international calls. Your Polycom phone model could be provisioned with teams. 

for sure you need to get a phone number and assign it to the user. 

@eliekarkafy Thanks for the info.  I ended up hearing back from MS sales and they stated, as have others, that a Microsoft Teams Phone Standard would suffice ($8/user/mth).  Unfortunately, That license doesnt show up in my M365 admin portal as available to purchase.  I found this page and have tried both Buy Now and Try Now (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/microsoft-teams-phone#office-InlineSkuChooser-b423wn...), but each time it takes me back to my Admin portal page (checkout screen) but throws an error stating I need another subscription to work correctly.

I've relayed this to the MS sales rep with zero success trying to get this license...Still waiting to hear back from the sales guy

Well, if you have E5 that feature will be included within you're the E5 plan otherwise you need to purchase it separately as this license doesn't show up in the admin portal.
Correct, however, it's overkill to assign an E5 license to a non-human user account. This will just be an account I use to authenticate to the phone, used for nothing else. We are a small company and I keep the same amount of E5 licenses as we have employees to save on cost.

Even the MS sales guy was surprised that the Standard license wasnt showing up in my portal. I had to share my screen to prove it to him LOL.
I think at this point, the least expensive route for licensing this phone would be to purchase the M365 Business Basic license ($6/user/mth) and add the Teams Phone Standard add-on license ($8/user/mth). I'm not having much luck with MS sales to verify it.

Thanks for your input!
best response confirmed by egeyer615 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Correct that the best option for now if that user only requires Microsoft teams phone only. Please me keep me posted for any further assistance.
may I ask you to mark my answer as an accepted answer to help the community while searching for answers.

@egeyer615 Assigning any user license whether E5 or Business with phone system to a shared device would be a breach of license, these licenses are for a single person not a shared device.

If you just want a simple dial capability, then the Teams Shared Device License will give you that, it includes everything apart from a dial plan.

If you want the phone to show a calendar of bookings to click to join you'll need the Teams Room Pro license.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by egeyer615 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Correct that the best option for now if that user only requires Microsoft teams phone only. Please me keep me posted for any further assistance.

View solution in original post