Meeting recording working in Chrome, but greyed out in Teams App

Copper Contributor

Hi there :)

I need to make meeting recordings possible. "AllowCloudRecording" and "AllowRecordingStorageOutsideRegion" are both enabled in the global meetings policy. The latter is required because Microsoft does not have any Stream servers located in Switzerland (unlike for Microsoft Teams). Any idea why recording only works in Chrome?

Recording in the App - not availableRecording in the App - not availableRecording in Chrome - worksRecording in Chrome - works

8 Replies
Hello, sounds like an cache issue in the desktop app. Are you using exactly the same procedure?

Try signing out manually from the desktop app. If no difference reset the Teams app by deleting all content in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks for your reply! No cache issue. I installed the app on a computer with a vanilla Windows 10 install which has never seen anything about Microsoft Teams. And the procedure was identical: Log in, "Start meeting" on the top right, and there you are.

Really odd. Never heard before. Must give it some thought. Let me know if you find out (or another member reading this).
Thanks! Yeah.. Tomorrow I'm going to teach some OBS as a workaround...

@ChristianBergstrom 

OK, OBS is no option.. So, let's continue researching.

I think the problem has something to do with the data storage region. As mentioned in the original post, Teams data are stored in Switzerland whereas Stream data are located in the EU. Therefore, the setting AllowRecordingStorageOutsideRegion should take care of this issue, but it somehow doesn't - at least not in the app.

Teams Dings.png

On my test machine with a clean Windows 10 install, I tried to test the meeting recording feature with a user of another Microsoft 365 tenant which has both Teams and Stream data located in the EU (weird, because it's a swiss company) Result: It just works.

Is there any way to pass this to Microsoft? At this point, I think I should mention that we're currently using the Teams Exploratory license, which is (based on my research) feature equivalent to E1. So I don't think that could be the cause.

Hey! Interesting. I am afraid I haven’t had any time to look into this.. How about opening a ticket with the official Microsoft support to get a proper answer?

It's working now after changing RecordingStorageMode from Stream to OneDriveForBusiness. I guess Microsoft Stream based recording just won't work for most of swiss Teams users.

Good to hear! Still doesn’t explain why the app couldn’t be used and only the browser. Anyway, thanks for the update!