Meeting links acting strangely in New Experience

Copper Contributor

Using the Teams Old Experience, I regularly create a Teams meeting for everyone to get together. 

Sometimes we need to split into smaller groups and I create meetings for these breakout sessions. 

Whilst we are in the main meeting, i post the link to the breakout meetings in the Meeting Chat. Folks click on the appropriate link and off they go to the breakout meeting. No problems. 

I recently tried the "new experience"

Repeating EXACTLY he same procedure as above with the "new experience" turned on,  when I click on the link in the meeting chat to the breakout session, i go to (what looks like) a NEW Meeting Now session - but with no Chat, no Meeting Details. Anyone else who has New Meeting experienced turned on, when they click on the breakout link, goes to their own NEW Meeting Now session - with no Chat, no Meeting details and are their on their own in that meeting, alone,  forever - ie we all end up in independent meetings, not the same one. 

Even more bizarrely, if that SAME link to the breakout meeting is pasted into an app outside of Teams (eg Word) and then clicked on, it DOES take me (and others to the same breakout meeting)

Help!

6 Replies

@Calchas63 I'm seeing (almost) the exact same behavior. The one difference is that often users don't fully join a second meeting at all - they get a message as if they're waiting in the lobby to be admitted, but the other users in the meeting never see that lobby request. I haven't been able to track down what causes one vs the other, but it may have to do with whether it's a Guest account relative to the meeting owner.

The strange thing for me is the EXACT same meeting link works differently depending on if the link is clicked on inside or outside of MS Teams. Click on the meeting link the MEeting Chat and they go into a private limbo room with no-one else, click on the same link pasted outside of Teams and they go to the correct room. So frustrating!

@rmeyer_tier1 

@Calchas63 Agreed, that's the same behavior we're seeing. It also seems to work correctly if the link is clicked from a group chat or Teams channel. It's ONLY an issue if it is clicked from a Meeting Chat in a new experience popup window.

We've found workarounds to either be:

• Clicking the link from the duplicated meeting chat back in the main Teams window
  • Creating a group chat with everyone in the meeting and posting links there
  • Using a URL shortener like bit.ly, which DOES work when pasted into Meeting Chat, but causes an intermediary browser window to popup before opening the second Meeting
  • Including secondary breakout room links in a table in the original meeting invite, and asking people to refer back to that at the appropriate time

@rmeyer_tier1  I have just tried it out too. I had the same experience and joined the second meeting which did not have meeting notes. If I joined the second meeting from clicking on the 2nd meeting invite in Outlook it worked OK

Im kind of pleased to find it’s not just me experiencing this!

I’ve been running a 2 hour online class for Facilitators called “Teams for Facilitators” aka “How to make Teams work like Zoom” and all was working fine until I tried the new experience!

@rmeyer_tier1 also replied to my original post and with a workaround (my view is that to use Teams for facilitation EVERYTHING is a workaround!)
Im kind of pleased to find it’s not just me experiencing this!

I’ve been running a 2 hour online class for Facilitators called “Teams for Facilitators” aka “How to make Teams work like Zoom” and all was working fine until I tried the new experience!

Thanks for the workarounds! (I’m finding that to use Teams for facilitation EVERYTHING is a workaround!)