Media optimization is not loaded to Teams in AVD VDI

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I have Azure virtual desktop host based on Windows 10 Enterprise 212H2 Gen2, and I've installed Teams as per MS article: Use Microsoft Teams on Azure Virtual Desktop - Azure | Microsoft Learn

But Teams doesn't load media optimization and it shows this version:  Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.31168 (64-bit). It was last updated on 11/21/2022.

Any idea why Media Optimization is not loaded and how I troubleshoot it?

Thanks,

Bachar

5 Replies
I have noticed the same thing and I am wondering if Microsoft have just removed that banner if optmizations are being applied? Did you come right with this?

@anakha56 

We have the same issue, and use FSlogix with Profile and Office redirection.

I've found mounting the FSLogix disks and deleting the "Teams" folders from the following locations temporarily works as a workaround:

Profile Disk > AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams

Profile Disk > AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams

Profile Disk > HKCU (opens when mounting disk) > Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams

ODFC Disk > Teams

*This is merely a workaround to be used at your own risk, I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the matter will have a better/ more elegant solution.

What I haven't been able to figure out, is why after a short amount of time it reverts back and removes the AVD Optimization again. Hopefully, someone from Microsoft can jump in with an answer! Presumably, some kind of malfunctioning update being applied at user level to Teams? It's very frustrating for both me and the users to be forever signing them out of AVD and modifying profiles!

@martinstephensonsmart Hey I have been meaning to come back to this thread to update with the solution I have found.

Install the WebRTC service on the host machine. So, in the environment I look after, I had to install the WebRTC service on the thin client so that when the user connected to the AVD through it, then the optimizations loaded.

Give that try and see if it works for you as well.

*edit* Just tagging the original post owner as well @bacharbader 

In the end, we're yet to find the root cause (we including Microsoft Dev engineers). Instead I found a workaround in a well know redirections exclusion for FSLogix, which seemingly triggers AVD optimisation back into working. Exluding the following folder from the users profile and thus having it recreate at each login: AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage
This solved it for me after migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit teams.