Maximum password size is arbitarily small

Copper Contributor

As someone who uses a password manager and recently signed up for a teams account I was frustrated that the generated password from my password manager was "too long".  How is this a thing?  I've never had a website reject a password for being too long. 

I could understand a limit on passwords over 1000 characters or something to avoid a dos attack on the hashing function.  The default configuration of my password manager generates 25 character passwords.

If teams is going to be accepted as a modern communication tool it shouldn't have absurd password restrictions. 

I couldn't find a better place to report this bug.  Please let me know if it is out of place here and should be posted somewhere else.

2 Replies

@tyler-picknik If you use the payed version of Teams you will use Azure Active Directory for your accounts and then the maximum length is 256 characters.  I Teams free you use a Microsoft Account to sign in (same as Outlook.com) and then the limit is 16 characters.

What is the maximum length of password in Windows 10? (thewindowsclub.com)

Instead of having a long password Microsoft recommends to have a complex password together with MFA for Microsoft Accounts.

How to use two-step verification with your Microsoft account