Managing who can create groups - not working for some users? why?

Brass Contributor

Hi

I have followed https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups and other related sites to create a group "Office365TeamsCreator" and set it so only members of that group can create a Team

It works for some users, but for others they can still create a Team even though not in the allowed group

I have checked settings numerous times and (Get-AzureADDirectorySetting).Values shows:-

EnableGroupCreation False

And shows the correct ID for GroupCreationAllowedGroupId

Can anyone help as really don't want anyone who isn't in allowed group to be able to create a Team

Thank you

8 Replies
Are you sure they are creating new groups (Teams) and not adding Teams to existing Office 365 groups? They can still do this regardless of being restricted to creating groups. Seen that be the case a few times.

@Chris Webb 

Hi Chris, thanks for reply - good point and not wholly sure until I can test under particular users logon again

But when you click on "Join or create a team" they could see both options as per screenshot, whereas a correctly blocked user can only see the "Join a team with a code" option

teams.jpg

@Darren Rose 

I did this on my test tenant a while back and it worked perfectly.  Not sure it took effect immediately though.  How long has it been since you created the group and ran the PowerShell?

Also, the group is definitely a Security Group, not a M365 group?

@PeterRising 

Yes it is definitely a security group as I assume it wouldn't be working at all if not

It was originally done a week or two back, and have retried it from scratch earlier today - same issue

@Darren Rose 

Hmm,  interesting.  Thanks for confirming.  OK, I will see what I can find out for you.  

@Darren Rose 

Really quite stumped by this.  Guessing none of the following conditions are applicable?

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 20.29.36.png

@PeterRising 

No none of those are applicable, and it seems from comments at bottom of this article that I am not the only one (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups?view=o3...)

Oh yes I can see you are not alone here. I do think a support ticket with Microsoft is the next logical step here to see what they have to say on the issue.