SOLVED

Making Teams start on Secondary Monitor

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to force Teams to start on my secondary monitor (Screen 2)? Every morning I start Teams, it comes up on Screen 1 and I have to move it over to Screen 2 so I can do my work while still seeing the chat/calls windows. I checked settings in Teams as well as looking in Windows (Apps & Features, and Properties) but can't find anything that can set it to start on the secondary monitor instead of primary. It does not appear to retain the last screen position on exit.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Steven_613 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@Steven_613  It's not a Teams function - it's a function of selecting the monitor where you want any particular program to open.  You just drag the Teams icon over to the monitor you want to use - here is one of the many online instructions I found: How Select Which Monitor A Program Will Open In (Dual Monitors) - YouTube

@Therese_Solimeno Thanks so much for this. I've been using Windows apps for 10+ years on dual screens and never realized that's what you do to have it show up on the right screen. Appreciate the help.

@Therese_Solimeno This procedure only works when the computer is booted up and the program has been started. Whenever I start my computer for the day, Teams opens on the main monitor every time. I have to move it every morning. This procedure does nothing but set the program to open on that screen for that power cycle.

I confirm this.
At each startup and (more annoyingly) each time I unlock screen, Teams appears on primary monitor.
@Therese_Solimeno This problem is indeed specific to Teams, it's the only app that behaves this way.

@gruop 

This has been annoying me for months. I have the laptop screen (1) set as the secondary screen, with an external monitor (2) selected as primary. That's the way I want to work.

The only "fix" I've found was to make use of the FancyZones tool within the PowerToys.

I already used the tool to split my primary screen, so I created a full-screen layout for the laptop screen and selected "Move newly created windows to their last known zone". That has worked so far (limited testing yet) so I wanted to flag it up to anyone who might be experiencing this annoying behaviour.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/install

Meddler_0-1676487386223.pngMeddler_1-1676487399319.png

I noticed this behavior when Teams is maximized on the secondary monitor and when it restarts, it launches on the primary monitor.
The workaround is to split Teams to one side of the secondary monitor "drag it left or right" then expand it to fill the monitor. The Teams window will display in restore mode not maximized and it will launch on the secondary monitor when it starts.
It seems Teams doesn't support the split functionality "when you hover over the maximize/restore and it displays different split patterns" and it should be implemented and that should fix the issue starting maximized on a secondary monitor.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Steven_613 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@Steven_613  It's not a Teams function - it's a function of selecting the monitor where you want any particular program to open.  You just drag the Teams icon over to the monitor you want to use - here is one of the many online instructions I found: How Select Which Monitor A Program Will Open In (Dual Monitors) - YouTube

View solution in original post