Make it as view only while others using the excel file in a shared drive

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

Our company has an excel file in the shared drive that is used by everyone in the team.

I would like to know is there any way to prevent the user (ex. make it as view only) just for the time when the other team member is editing it.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you.

2 Replies
Hi,

Off the top of my head and if you are not wanting the Co authoring experience. You could look to enable require check out on the SharePoint doc library.

However I would like to know if co Authoring has caused you issues as it is quite good at informing when someone else is working on something and locking the portion of what is being worked on.

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech 

Hi Henry,

Thank you for your kind reply.

But the problem is that our company has only 1 Microsoft account for the interns. So I think your option 1 and 2 might not be applicable.

Our company is using Google Drive File Stream (G:) to save and edit our excel files.

Currently, pop-up appears when others try to overwrite, but it seems not always working perfectly (we still have overwriting issue sometimes).

Other than using SharePoint or co Authoring, is there any other options such as using VBA?

Thank you.

Regards,

Sung Jin LEE