Logitech Rally/Tap with Windows. Devices stuck on blank screen after nightly reboots

Copper Contributor

We recently deployed Teams Rooms devices across our org. We have about 60 devices currently, all Rallybar w/ Tap and Intel Nuc. I've notice that randomly some devices will get stuck at a blank black screen after nightly reboot. I initially thought this was an issue updating from Teams Rooms v. 4.10.10.0 to 4.11.12.0, however today we had 3 devices get stuck that had already updated to the latest version.

I use the MTRemediate-4.x.x.x.ps1 script and sometimes it works first try, others I have to run it multiple times, or add the -uninstall parameter.

Is this a common occurrence, or is something wrong with these devices? If so that is a huge area of concern as the process to resolve can take ~45 minutes to an hour, and if an executive has scheduled meetings early in the morning it can be very disruptive.

When a device gets stuck in this state, it shows as offline in TAC. I an access the local admin account and restart, but when trying to login to the Teams app it gets stuck at a blank black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

23 Replies
Hi!!

I have the same problem with a Lenovo ThinkSmart HUB 500 + Rally System setup, with the same Teams version too.

I did MTRemediate and it didn't work either, but I found a workaround to this problem that works until you need to restart your system.

I don't know if the shortcut from the first step works with your intel NUC too.

1- You need to connect a keyboard to your mini-pc or MTR controller, as we will need to press the Windows key five times in quick succession.
2- Doing this quick tap, the system will exit the Skype user to the user selection screen.
3- Log in to the Administrator profile and press CRTL+SHIFT+ESC to open your task manager
4- Find the Skype user in the "Users" tab and press to log out.
5- Press the Windows key, click on the white doll and then on "Logout" to log out of your administrator account. It's important
6- Log into your Skype account.

Hopefully it logs in normally without a black screen. Once logged in, it will keep working until you need to restart your system.

I did this with my HUB500 and worked as a temporary solution to keep my room running until we find a fix to this issue.

Hello @CleanTangerine 

We are having the same issue on our end, too. 20 out of our 50 Rallybars with Taps/Intel Nuc's seem to have this issue every single day so far this week. It's become very frustrating and word is starting to get around that our Teams meeting rooms are starting become....unreliable. 

Did you happen to find a fix for this issue?

Does this also occur with the latest Teams app 4.11.17.0 ?
I'm not running Logitech Equipment here, but have found similar issues with the Crestron Flex units we have. Though a reboot typically resolves the issue - until it randomly happens again. Usually when machines are experiencing this behavior I'll hop into the admin account and see if there are any optional driver updates that can be applied in Windows Update. This issue seems to happen more frequently when a new Teams Room App is released and ends up being resolved when optional display drivers are installed. I hope that helps!
Hey everyone. I forgot to post the workaround we found that actually seems to be working. It seems like the culprit is the Intel Irix Xe Graphics driver. Version 30.0.101.1191 seems to be faulty and causing our issues. We went into device manager, opened up the Intel Irix Xe Graphics driver and then clicked on Roll Back Driver. This brought us to version 27.20.100.8935 and corrected the issue.

However, Windows update will try and reinstall version 30.0.101.1191 so we had to apply local policies on each Nuc so that Windows wouldn't install drivers automatically.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Do not include drivers with Windows Updates.

We also applied a local policy so that the automatic updates would apply on a schedule that works on our business needs.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates
Thank you this worked for our 55 machines!

The recommendation from @CheetoChester has worked great on a few Logitech Taps that were already on Windows 10, version 20H2 and only installed the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver version 30.0.101.1191 after the Windows 10 Feature Update. We can just roll back the drivers as recommended.

However, if the drivers were installed before the Feature Update to 20H2, with the Feature Update installed after the drivers, then the button to "Roll Back Driver" is simply greyed out. We have almost 20 endpoints which fall into this category, as they were all deployed in the past 2 weeks.

Something tells me this will require Intel to publish a newer driver version before we see any real relief. They did release 4 newer sets of drivers since version 30.0.101.1191, which can be found on their support website, though this version is still the latest showing for the Intel NUC that was bundled with the Logitech Tap.

@CheetoChester 

This absolutely works. We deployed new Rally systems to a few locations and every night during the scripted reboot they goto a black screen and are unresponsive. 

Finally found your post and grabbed the 27.20.100.8935 drivers from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/29988/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html & disabled driver updates with a local GPO.

No black screen hangs ever since.

FYI - We were on a driver newer than the one mentioned in your original post (30.0.101.1960) and still experiencing the black screen hang. So the issue is not resolved yet in newer drivers.

@CleanTangerineI logged a call with Logitech, they have asked us to update to 30.0.101.1960 on the Intel Iris XE driver that was released today, will report back if it's successful.

We also introduced another problem (static coming through the rally speaker) during our troubleshooting which according to logitech is caused by latest bios on the NUC. Suggested workaround is to disable Intel Platform Trusted Technology setting in the BIOS, which will kill bitlocker in the process.

@hrcc-cg This is so frustrating, we have only two systems but have the same issue on both with a frozen display every morning. I too got the information from Logitech support to upgrade all drivers (through Windows Update) and we have a "crackling" sound in the MIC now and really low volume on the speakers (We have Rally Medium).

Did you find any solution?

@Awasen- Reply from Logitech below. - The graphics driver issue remains, I think changing to v27.20.100.8935 did fix it though, just waiting to see what happens.

But the static sound was fixed by disabling the setting in BIOS for Intel Platform Trusted Technology. Our NUCs don't have bitlocker enabled so it wasn't a big issue to change that.

We come across a few users reporting that the NUC MTR systems appear to be frozen or unresponsive after the nightly reboot or after displays go into sleep mode. Tap appears dark and unresponsive. The only recovery is to press and hold the NUC power button until the system shuts down and then power it back on. The root cause is an Intel Iris graphics driver update that was pushed via a Microsoft update. 

In light of the latest version(30.0.101.1960) of the Graphics driver released by Microsoft on 10/05/2022 and the fact that you already rolled back to 27.20.100.8935 with no improvement, I would suggest updating the Graphics driver to see if that helps. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

It was also reported that Static noise is heard on Rally Bar, Rally Bar Mini or Rally system connected to the MTR NUC when the system is idle and not on a call.
These issues started after the customer recently updated the NUC BIOS to version 0064. Intel is investigating the issue and has paused the BIOS firmware update version 0064. Microsoft MTR Premium has also stopped pushing this BIOS update via their service. The below workaround worked for most of the users.

1. Disabling the “Intel Platform Trusted Technology” settings in the BIOS resolves the static noise from the Rally Bar/Mini or Rally system when used in USB mode.
    1. In the BIOS, navigate to the Security tab then Security Features, then uncheck the “Intel Platform Trusted Technology”
    2. Save and Exit
    3. System will reboot and the static noise should not be heard
  2. Disabling this setting however also prevents the NUC from fully booting up if Bitlocker is enabled. If Bitlocker is enabled then it needs to be disabled in Windows before disabling this setting in BIOS.

Please try updating the Graphics driver and disabling the Intel Platform Trusted Technology to see if it mitigates all your issues.

We come across a few users reporting that the NUC MTR systems appear to be frozen or unresponsive after the nightly reboot or after displays go into sleep mode. Tap appears dark and unresponsive. The only recovery is to press and hold the NUC power button until the system shuts down and then power it back on. The root cause is an Intel Iris graphics driver update that was pushed via a Microsoft update. 

In light of the latest version(30.0.101.1960) of the Graphics driver released by Microsoft on 10/05/2022 and the fact that you already rolled back to 27.20.100.8935 with no improvement, I would suggest updating the Graphics driver to see if that helps. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

It was also reported that Static noise is heard on Rally Bar, Rally Bar Mini or Rally system connected to the MTR NUC when the system is idle and not on a call.
These issues started after the customer recently updated the NUC BIOS to version 0064. Intel is investigating the issue and has paused the BIOS firmware update version 0064. Microsoft MTR Premium has also stopped pushing this BIOS update via their service. The below workaround worked for most of the users.

1. Disabling the “Intel Platform Trusted Technology” settings in the BIOS resolves the static noise from the Rally Bar/Mini or Rally system when used in USB mode.
    1. In the BIOS, navigate to the Security tab then Security Features, then uncheck the “Intel Platform Trusted Technology”
    2. Save and Exit
    3. System will reboot and the static noise should not be heard
  2. Disabling this setting however also prevents the NUC from fully booting up if Bitlocker is enabled. If Bitlocker is enabled then it needs to be disabled in Windows before disabling this setting in BIOS.

Please try updating the Graphics driver and disabling the Intel Platform Trusted Technology to see if it mitigates all your issues.

Having the same issue. One unit is actually freezing up mid meeting multiple times. Will try updating to the latest driver but we have been battling this issue for the last couple of months. It's quite frustrating because I purposely did not join these to our domain because I didn't want any policies getting in the way of these things functioning correctly. Leave it to MS to break them anyway. I can't win!

@NThoman- Change to the Intel Iris driver version 27.20.100.8935 and see how you go.

We were already running that version after trying to fix an issue with the display rebooting. It did the trick for a few weeks but started acting up again yesterday. We are trying the new 30.0.101.1960 driver now. So far our display issues are gone but time will tell if it remains stable.

We have had the same issue when the intel NUC is updated to use the intel DCH graphic driver, NUCs with the legacy driver do not have the issue.

We are now trialing the HDMI firmware that lists this specific fix at HDMI Firmware Update Tool for NUC8i3BE, NUC8i5BE, NUC8i7BE (intel.com)

We did that Firmware update tool awhile ago too and it helped. We haven't had any issues with our HD projectors and displays after running it. Most of our rooms are HD... with one 4K projector. The 4K was giving us issues is my last post. So far, no issues with our 4k projector and the NUC post upgrading the driver to 30.0.101.1960. This driver update seems to be the fix. If I have issues again, I'll be sure to come back and let you all know.

Good Morning All
Concerning the issue that every one has been having with the logitech tab screen going blank or failing to load the teams interface for the skype user correctly, we traced the issue back to both the driver update for the XE graphics on our NUC11TNKi5 that are being pushed both by Microsoft through Windows update and the Intel driver support update. Both the current version of the drivers are causing the issue. By installing version 30.0.101.1994 downloaded from Intel's Web page, the problem is resolved. As a side security note to prevent this issue from happening again, we disabled the Intel support assistant from the services along with configuring our system to only download security updates and wait admin conformation before installing these updates. All Driver update have been disabled.
I hope this little bit of information, can help any one else suffering from this annoying issue.

Hi @Michael_Z10 

Thank you for this information, I wanted to reset factory the MTR following Microsoft's procedure and Lenovo's, it was working just before that.

Now the Team App starts but black screen after the loading circle.

I installed 27.20.100.8935 version, same issue.

Then i installed the version you advice, same issue.

I do not see any way to resolve this.

Team is at version 4.12.138.0

Windows at version 21H2 19044.1806

I reinstalled 4th times the MTR...

Is anyone still having this issue?

THank you

Johan

@JohanB923 

Hi Johan yeah I ended up having an issue a week later after my post. Tried everything that was recommended by Logitech and Microsoft. In the end I had to reset the unit. So to cut a long story short. I gave up with both Logitech and Microsoft, installed a 3rd party software called Deep freeze, that prevents any changes being made to the os, and on restart the system returns to the exact state it was in when the hard drive was "frozen". Been 3 weeks and I haven't had any issue with the system since. I will schedule to push updates this week coming to keep the system complaint. 

Not sure if this helps, but it worked for me until one of the manufacturers can provide a proper support guide.