List all channels and their associated SharePoint Folders

Iron Contributor

We are in the middle of a Tenant to Tenant migration.  We have a lot of renamed channels and the tool we're using migrates all files into the original folder name, creates the channel using the new folder name, and none of the files show up in the migrated channel.  They say this is a design/API limitation from Microsoft and they're working with their development team and Microsoft, but a solution won't happen for quite some time.

Their workaround is to perform the migration once to pull over all content, then to manually find and move all files from the old folder name to the current name that matches the channel name, then to re-run the non-files portion of the migration to re-connect channel chats to the properly moved files.  It may work, but it'll be a lot of manual intervention (200+ teams, likely everyone with at least one renamed channel).

One thing that'll help with this would be to have a list of all Channels and their associated SharePoint folder names.  That way we can properly prepare for how much manual work we'll need to do, or maybe create scripts to move content after the initial migration stage.

Does anyone know how to generate such a list?  I've found scripts to list Teams and their channel names, but none of them also list the associated SharePoint folder name/path.

Thanks.

3 Replies

@Alex Carlock 

I'm certainly not aware of any way you can do this.  As you say, the API's for Teams migrations are pretty limited at the moment, and 3rd party tools have a few limitations around Teams migrations (specifically channels) as a result.

What is the tool you are using out of interest?

@PeterRising We're using Quest On Demand Migration.  I've also looked at BitTitan MigrationWiz, but don't have hands on experience with it.

We've looked through a few scripts and reports by various vendors/internet searches and we see reports of Teams URLs, SharePoint Site URLs, but none seem to dig down as far as the Channel and SharePoint Folder level.

@Alex Carlock 

I've not used Quest just yet but hear good things.  Teams is definitely still something that has a lot of kinks to iron out in terms of 3rd party tools.  I fear you may be looking at a laborious manual process as things stand to get you back to where you need to be.