Limitations of unlicensed MS Teams: Virtual Backgrounds for Mac

Copper Contributor

Looking to better understand the limitations of unlicensed MS Teams desktop app around virtual backgrounds for Mac

When a user joins Teams meeting using MS Teams app preinstalled but is not logged into the app, They can join the meeting use the mic, video cam, and share screen but what I am finding is they are unable to select the virtual background option.

If the user has access to an MS account/license that supports the login of MS Teams then they are able to use the virtual background. 

Do we know if MS limit the desktop app form using virtual background if the app is not signed in with an MS Teams license for Mac?

I understand the hardware requirements for MS Teams for Mac. 

I have been testing this with Macbook Air from 2020 that supports virtual backgrounds.

Has anyone else run across this.

Any help would be appreciated 

1 Reply

@cawchase We are experiencing the same - our speakers using Macbooks cannot use virtual backgrounds. They have downloaded and installed Microsoft Teams Meeting (unlicensed) in order to connect to our meeting, and we noticed that there is no option for them to choose virtual backgrounds. I wonder if Microsoft Teams has any formal documentation and solution about this?