SOLVED

LIMIT: you have reached the max number of channels you can auto-share within a team

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I created 15 channels in Teams within a Team. However I'm not able to share more than 9 channels with all the team members.

The message says : " you have reached the maximum number of channels you can auto-show within a team. Delete a channel and try again" 

Our teams would require more than 10 channels with people collaborating in each channel. Is there any work-around for this?

Thanks!

8 Replies
best response confirmed by monishaprakash (Copper Contributor)
Solution
This is because you have the auto show option when creating channels, You are limited to 10 of these. You can create up to 200 current limit on the channels.

What you can do is create channels with the option, then manage the team and channels and remove the auto show option on the existing 10, and then create more channels. This will still auto show the channels for everyone currently int he Team. Just if anyone new comes onto the Team they will only have the current 10 shown automatically.

@Chris Webb So if a new member joins and can only see the current 10, how do I add them to the remaining channels? Sorry if it is a basic question, I'm a new user.

They have to show the channels themselves, they have access to all channels in the Team, it just shows them under "Hidden channels", then can easily go show the ones that they want.

Hi, I am a complete novice to the whole teams thing. This thread seems to be the most relevant. If i wanted to have 6 different channels running, each with its own video chat (Breakout rooms, for example). But when i try and launch more than 4 video chats it says i am at my limit, does anyone have a workaround for multiple video chats? thanks :)

You cannot join more than 4 as yourself at the same time. You can still have scheduled meetings in those channels and have many more (not sure if there is a limit). I'm assuming you have multiple meet now's and you have to start those up. So scheduling the meetings using Calendar app and adding to each channel would be a better way of accomplishing this.

I get what you are saying, but this is really just a hack. If the number of viewable channels by any one person is not limited, then why put a limit to the number that can be automatically listed? 10 *seems* like a fair number, but we hit that VERY quickly. We choose to keep our whole dept. in a single team instead of breaking up into smaller teams. Therefore the number of channels is higher because we do want to segment discussions. I would love to see MS raise the number of auto-show channels.

How can we increase the limit? Seems odd that the Teams app is imposing this restriction on our "Team" design. It is really not working for us at the moment. Discord is working better but we are forced to use Teams.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by monishaprakash (Copper Contributor)
Solution
This is because you have the auto show option when creating channels, You are limited to 10 of these. You can create up to 200 current limit on the channels.

What you can do is create channels with the option, then manage the team and channels and remove the auto show option on the existing 10, and then create more channels. This will still auto show the channels for everyone currently int he Team. Just if anyone new comes onto the Team they will only have the current 10 shown automatically.

View solution in original post