SOLVED

Let Teams user chat with skype consumers?

Brass Contributor

I set my org-wide to teamsonly mode. I also put these two on (on)

Users can communicate with other Skype for Business and Teams users
Users can communicate with Skype users

But still it wont find any normail hotmail user. What can i do to fix this?
15 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

The federation between Teams and Skype consumer is rolling out and should be finished by the end of April. So maybe you haven't got that feature in your tenant yet?

@Linus Cansby 

Why add the buttons if it is not roll out yet. That would be silly?

Also here or some screenshots of what i have configured. I waited a hole day but still no results.

No, it is really good that they roll out the admin part first so that administrators can turn off/on features based on organization policy before the feature rolls out to users.

@Linus Cansby 

But is this correct?

@Linus Cansby 

Is this still rolling out? A Skype user still cannot connect me. I have the setting set to allow this, but nothing. 

@KenWalsh Roadmap say May 2020, but I think that could be later and that Microsoft is prioritising other features now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=skype%2Cconsumer 

@Linus Cansby 

Thanks for the info! Been searching for this for a while.

The funny this is that the Skype Consumer user added me via using my email address. After sending the hello wave message to wait for me to accept him showed up. After a few minutes, his Skype said he was all set like I accepted his request, but I never seen his request in Teams or approved him.

He sent a few messages and I never received them in teams. He also tried to video chat and Skype says that I am not online.

It seems his Skype connect to me somehow, but nothing seems to work. So frustrating because know with my email address no one can contact me using Skype Consumer. Is there any workaround until it works in Teams?

Thanks Again!

@Linus Cansby According to the Roadmap link this as launched. But, I can still not connect to Skype users using teams. I can find the Skype user, but when sending a message I get this error "We ran into a problem sending this message. Try again later."

@KenWalsh Yes, it is launched, I've used it. Make sure that it is enabled in Teams Admin Center > Org-Wide Settings > External Access: Enable "Users can communicate with Skype users". But since you can find the Skype user it could be some delay in your tenant so just wait a couple of days and try again.

You could also try from the Skype side and see if you can connect to your Teams user.

@Linus Cansby 

Double checked my settings and do have “Users can communicate with Skype users” on.

I have tried Skype to Teams and Teams to Skype with no luck. Yes, I can find the Skype user in Teams but, shows the user is offline. The same in Skype my teams shows offline in Skype.

I did some searching on this and found some old posts about Skype business that suggested to check domain DNS settings. Is this still the cause? Is there a DNS setting for Skype I need to add?

Org-wide setting = Teams Only

@cvanaxel My teams has been upgrade to teams only. Org-wide setting = Teams Only is set by default and can not be changed.

This is still not working for me. 

Just sitting here doing some work and suddenly, I get an incoming Skype call. Guess it is working now.

@KenWalsh  still not working for me.  Is it rolling out team by team?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

The federation between Teams and Skype consumer is rolling out and should be finished by the end of April. So maybe you haven't got that feature in your tenant yet?

View solution in original post