Laptop freezes if I'm in a conference with all cameras on.

Copper Contributor

Here's my problem. I got a new laptop for Christmas because my old one was dated and it was a pain to be in online classes. This laptop is great, it's snappy and can do whatever I want on it. It can handle light gaming very well as well, which is just a bonus to be honest.

I can stay in online classes where no cameras are on or where only the teacher has their camera on. In some classes the teachers demand us to have our cameras on, to make sure we're there. This is where I have problems. After an x amount of time (it varies, sometimes after a minute, 30 minutes or an hour) the whole system freezes and there's no way for me to close Teams and even if I do, everything becomes very laggy and eventually everything freezes again. Only solution is to restart the laptop. This affects my attendence in a bad way and I am under constant pressure, because I know it'll crash eventually. 

My specs: AMD Ryzen 3 3250U with Radeon Graphics 2.60 GHz

8gb of RAM (5,88gb useable)

My old laptop had no freezes altough it was very laggy.

Old Specs: Itel Atom x5-Z8350 (1,44 GHz)

4gb of RAM (3,87gb useable)

This was a significant upgrade, yet the older one performes "better". 

I tried to disable GPU accelaration, nothing changed. I tried to close everything in the background to change, no change. Searched for new drivers, no change. I tried nearly everything, yet I couldn't solve this issue.

My CPU usage is at around 30-50%

RAM usage: depends, usually 65-75%

GPU usage: around 40%

Any help is appreciated. English is not my first language, keep that in mind. 

3 Replies

@ktsben 

I'm wondering if it's a heat related issue.
Bear in mind that I'm not familiar with the Ryzen line of processors, so this may be irrelevant, but let's try forcing Teams to run using 'Power Saving' graphics mode.

Right click on your desktop background and select "Display Settings".
Scroll down to the bottom and select "Graphics Settings"
(or you can click the Start button and type Graphics Settings")

With 'Classic app' in the drop down, browse to the Teams shortcut or the executable.
(C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs for the shortcut. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\teams.exe for the executable)

Once you've added it, select 'Options' and change the graphics preference to 'Power saving'.

Hopefully this will help out.

Good luck

Rick

Thanks Rick!
While in those conferences the GPU runs at around 45°C, if there's a lot going on it'll go up to 50°C but the fans cool it down.

Can I ask what that does to the program? Does it restrict it's power usage?

@ktsben , sorry, but I don't know the answer to that off the top of my head. I just know that with the intel processors with additional discreet graphics, you can select which GPU will be used per application. I'm not sure if the Ryzen processors operate like that. It was just a thought that I had to check on.