SOLVED

Keeping participants off mute

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, I work as tech support for an eating disorder clinic. My clinicians want to be able to keep their patients unmuted and on video during virtual sessions, as this is crucial for observation and treatment. I'm not seeing a clear way to do this, and we can't switch from Zoom to Teams without it. Has Microsoft added this feature? Thank you!

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hello, the participants always has the possibility to mute themselves. As an organizer/presenter you can mute other participants and prevent attendees from unmuting themselves, but cannot force them to stay unmuted.
Thanks for the reply Christian. Does the same principle apply to video?
Yes, I believe it comes down to privacy to be honest. When you think about it, from another point of view of what you're asking, it's a rather intimidating idea that someone could just turn on your audio/video and that you cannot opt out.
In certain contexts, yes. But in the context of seeking medical attention, turning off one's video or mic is akin to fleeing the examination room. We can't do our jobs if our patients aren't present. That transparency is agreed upon when our patients seek out our services. Thanks again!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hello, the participants always has the possibility to mute themselves. As an organizer/presenter you can mute other participants and prevent attendees from unmuting themselves, but cannot force them to stay unmuted.

View solution in original post