SOLVED

Joining a meeting with a specific Teams account

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

I've had an issue recently joining a meeting that was set up, and I was emailed a link to join as a guest on my personal account. On my device, I both both a personal and work teams account set up.

Prior to clicking the link, I ensured that my "personal" account was the one logged in on Teams, and selected. When I clicked the link in the email, I was offered the options of downloading the app, using the browser, or that I already have the app installed:

JoshBullen_0-1621943761249.png

However, I found that when I clicked "Open your Teams app", I would always join the meeting using my corporate email address, not my personal one, irrespective of which account I had open in Teams when I clicked the link.

I very much wish to join these meetings, and others like it, using my personal email address and Teams account rather than my work one, but can't seem to figure out how to get Teams to use one account over another when both are available. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Josh

13 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi, yeah it's not ideal to use multiple account on Teams desktop app right now. What people usually do here is using Teams with their browser/browsers and sometimes also with InPrivate / Incognito sessions. What I could suggest is that you choose to manually sign out from Teams and then sign in only with the account you're about to use (i.e. the account the invite has been sent to) instead of switching account from the top right corner. Make sure the account that you don't want to use isn't added under the W10 account settings, if so remove it from there and try again.

If you can't seem to get a clean sign out or the possibility to choose what account to use when starting Teams again you can run this script. Just copy and paste into PowerShell and hit enter. It will clear all auto-start settings https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/scripts/powershell-script-teams-reset-autostart

I'm experiencing this problem, or something very similar at least.

I (or rather organisations I am connected to) pay for 3 separate subscriptions for Microsoft Office (or whatever they are calling themselves today) and need to be able to switch between my profiles to join meetings arising within each different organisation.

Putting to one side the racket that is getting your customers to pay for the same service 3 times, could Microsoft attend to this and make switching work better?

It's made worse by other silly aspects - when you click to join a meeting, there is no indication of which account you are joining through - that seems like a really basic feature that should be relatively easy to implement.

@Sam Cosby The last part is a really good suggestion. As when you're starting up Teams after clearing all related autostart settings you get the prompt "choose org. to sign in to". Is this something that's being worked on or in the pipeline? Thanks.

This did not work for me :(
Hi, make sure the account that you don't want to use isn't added under the W10 account settings, if so remove it from there.
I tried these steps and now get the initial screen to select which Team to use.
Issue I'm having is that when I select Personal, it never opens up the meeting. I have to select one of the other teams.
Choosing between the accounts-known-to-teams on joining a meeting should be possible.
Even better, where a specific identity (email address) has been invited to a meeting, Teams should select any matching teams account when joining the meeting.
The pre-join meeting screen, where camera, sound and other options for the meeting are presented could also include the choice between the known-to-teams accounts.
Anybody know how do we make feature requests to the Teams team?
I agree. And as mentioned above by Samuel that's a great idea. I believe this could be something that the Teams team already is looking at as they always try to enhance the meeting join experience.

For the record, UserVoice is replaced by the "feedback portal" so that's where you now add feature requests.
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472
I've been fighting this for weeks. I have signed out of my work account on teams, but still need to be signed in for outlook. When opening a meeting it signs me back into the work account instead of using my personal account. I'm just bumping this because there really should be a solution here.
Now I have two work accounts, and I am worried this is going to be an issue.

@cramburgy 

I'm also running into this issue, just like others on this thread. I want to use a personal account. The suggestion to remove my other account from the computer entirely doesn't seem like a good option for me. I wholeheartedly suggest Microsoft add this feature, the ability to choose an account to use when joining a meeting!

Jason

Looks like this is in the works (or will be at some point).

You can see the idea here, under "Enable usage of multiple Teams accounts at the same time":
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/d256e0f6-262e-ec11-b6e6-00224827bbc2

@matthewpavkov 

This link does not work. And problem still present.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi, yeah it's not ideal to use multiple account on Teams desktop app right now. What people usually do here is using Teams with their browser/browsers and sometimes also with InPrivate / Incognito sessions. What I could suggest is that you choose to manually sign out from Teams and then sign in only with the account you're about to use (i.e. the account the invite has been sent to) instead of switching account from the top right corner. Make sure the account that you don't want to use isn't added under the W10 account settings, if so remove it from there and try again.

If you can't seem to get a clean sign out or the possibility to choose what account to use when starting Teams again you can run this script. Just copy and paste into PowerShell and hit enter. It will clear all auto-start settings https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/scripts/powershell-script-teams-reset-autostart

View solution in original post