Joining a call from two devices no longer possible

Copper Contributor

With the arrival of the new year 2021 I am no longer able to join a private call from more devices. Group calls work fine, but on 1:1 private call it's not possible. Is it an intention or a bug?

4 Replies

Hi @Orbit09, I could imagine that this behaviour is related to new feature announced by Microsoft, to transfer calls between devices.

For meetings, this feature is already in place. When you join a Microsoft Teams Meeting from a second device with the same username, the Teams client asks you if you like to transfer the meeting to the new device.

@Orbit09 

I do not have an answer for you but this is an issue for me as well.

We are moving from Webex Teams to Microsoft Teams and this is one of the first and largest troubles for me. Because my computer webcam is not working, I must use my cell phone for the video portion of my calls then use my computer for screensharing, etc.

This is a bummer- hoping Microsoft adjusts this so we may use multiple devices. Big loss for me and my team as I now have to leave video calls in the past in order to utilize screensharing on my computer.

@Orbit09 Yeah I have the teams android app and the linux teams app on my PC.  I can do a private call to someone from my phone and then I do not see the call on my PC.  If someone calls me on teams it is not showing at all on my phone, and thus need to call them back since I use a bluetooth headset with my phone, since linux / Unbuntu is not great for bluetooth. 

In either case I do not see any option to transfer the call as I do when I join a meeting with 2 devices.  So yeah then your choice is just to skip screen sharing or to make a meeting just to make a call. 

Seems like this new 'feature' has made Microsoft products even worse.  We have used slack for many years and has been great but recently it is not supported by IT due to our new Global Protect VPN which does deep packet inspection and is now blacklisted.

I loved Slack and found it to have way better features, but same; it's now blacklisted by IT. Microsoft has a habit of making things worse. They come out with perfectly fine products and end up removing the most popular or helpful features for unknown reasons. They don't seem to care about feedback since I have yet to see anything they've killed ever come back.