Is there a way to change default landing channel of a MSTeam's Team.?

Brass Contributor

When i install any application in team, it  sends  default message in "General channel". So, Is it possible to change this behavior? If, Yes, can you help me  with how to do that.

5 Replies
Hi,

There are quite a few interactions you have within Teams where you will have a check box to untick to prevent posting an update to a channel.

Failing that and more on the app theme, is you have channel settings:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/manage-channel-moderation-in-teams

Some settings for the standard channels when it comes to moderation, is to do with bots and connectors.

Now the general channel is a permanent fixture and has different moderation settings to that of a standard channel. However I do wonder if you say that only owners can post messages that may be enough.

Thanks

Henry

Thanks @HenryPhillipsNimbitech.  but the  actual  scenario is when i install any  bot in Team it always sends the landing message(First message when you install any bot) and all Default messages(like bot added, member added/removed) in "General" channel, although i select different channel while adding the bot to Team. So, is it the fixture of MSTems or  is it possible to change the landing message(when i add a bot to specific channel) to different channel other than "General". 

Hi,

Thanks for the extra info. I think you're only chance is if setting a general channels settings to allow only owners to post. As like I said in a standard channel you can explicitly say no to bot messages but not for the default general channel.

Out of interest is this a publicly available bot or in House. If the former, could you let me know which one and I will have a play. Appreciate it is probably any but would just like to make it as true to your scenario as possible.

Thanks

Henry

Thanks @HenryPhillipsNimbitech. I tried both, in House and publicly available bot. in both  case i get Default message in General channel of selected team when you add the bot  for  first time. So, if it's possible to change this behavior. You can try  any bot like GitHub, Polly, etc.
When you add bot in Team  it sends you  welcome message in General channel. but if i want Welcome message in other channel is it possible??:smile:

Hi @sunnykalola ,

No dice for me I am afraid. I can kind of see why not that it helps. In that you are technically adding any app to the Team as a whole and the General channel is special, compared to Standard channels, with one of its functions being to broadcast or log audit style entries for certain comings and goings within a Teams Team.

On the flip side I can completely see where you are coming from too. So I would be tempted to post something in the User Voice for MS Graph in terms of In House app and Teams User Voice for adding apps and wanting some level of control over which Channel broadcasts the fact.

https://microsoftgraph.uservoice.com/forums/920506-microsoft-graph-feature-requests

Microsoft Teams UserVoice

Thanks

Henry