SOLVED

Is it possible to restrict users from creating channels folders, and files within teams?

Brass Contributor

Since there is a known syncing issue between teams and sharepoint. It probably is not a good idea to use teams for file management.

Do you know if it possible to restrict users from creating channels folders, and files within teams?

13 Replies
You can restrict channel creation both on a tenant level and on a per teams basis ( restrict members)
Regarding files you have to set custom SharePoint permissions on the different libraries

Adam

@madame206 

As a Team owner you can prevent Team members from creating channels under Manage Teams ... Settings ... Member Settings.

You can't prevent people uploading files through Teams however you could if you go into SharePoint and change permissions there. 

So, since there is no way to restrict file or folder creation within teams, sync issues may still arise????@Steven Collier .

We will still want users to be able to create files & folders within Sharepoint.

@madame206 

All files are stored in SharePoint, I am not familiar with the sync issue  - is it just the view of the SharePoint documents in Teams. not refreshing? 

You can remove permissions to the underlying default "Documents" so all your users could not add files into that document library. As long as new channels weren't created that would work. 

If you then create further document libraries in the underlying SharePoint site and tab in those document libraries that would work. 

best response confirmed by madame206 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hello@madame206 

Since the files you upload to a channel in Teams are stored in the underlying SharePoint site, you will have to workaround this in order for it to "work" like you want. 

1: Edit the permissions on the channel libraries in Teams so the users cant create new items

2: Create other libraries directly in the SharePoint site and give the users permissions there 

Allthough, you should probably skip step two and just get a Non-Office365 group connected SharePoint site for storing files then. 

Kind Regards
Oliwer sjöberg 

@adam deltinger How to restrict channel creation on a tenant level?

@Mina_Medhat Hello, have a look here as it's where you turn off private channel creation Manage teams policies in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

I'm afraid I can't verify myself right now..

This is also for private channels just to put it out there New-CsTeamsChannelsPolicy (SkypeForBusiness) | Microsoft Docs

As for the standard channels the Set-Team cmdlet can at least be used.

-AllowCreateUpdateChannels

"Setting that determines whether or not members (and not just owners) are allowed to create channels."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/set-team?view=teams-ps

@adam deltinger standard channel at tenant level?

@madame206 

I needed to restrict file uploads in channels because I didn't want fragmentet information and documents created the wrong places. So I closed the restriction in the channels by "starting" folders in all channels, and then restricting access to them in sharepoint. In that way I only allowed team owners to access this folders and not the members. Only leaving the file-structure in General open for adding files for members. 

This thead is yet another mess. Anyone at MS supervising?
Tech Community is becoming a complete nonsense that I'm starting to avoid when looking for real knowledge. Am I alone here?

Hi @Josu_Lekaroz  Could you be specific on what you think is "a mess' about this thread?  This community is user-managed, so the more experienced users and heavy hitters like the MVPs and Teams experts (there are at least two of them who responded to the questions in this thread) try to help out the less experienced users.

If you need personalized tech support, you'd want to go to answers.microsoft.com or search the resources at https://support.microsoft.com

Hi @ThereseSolimeno 

IMHO far too many answers do not address the original question, they are (sometimes loosely) related to it and create frustration to the person who posed the question and confusion to the ones that search the community for knowledge.

To many answer seek personal praise (likes, best answers....) rather than helping others.

This is not new, I'm surprised you are surprised by my comment.

I suppose Microsoft is happy whith it, but they shouldn't be as it makes its community look unfocussed and unprofessional.

Regards

Hi @Josu_Lekaroz  No, I'm not surprised by your comment - I just needed you to clarify it, which you kindly did.  Yes, we are aware of the way that posts get "hijacked" and have discussed ways to try to "house clean" the discussions that get off topic, or separate the subjects, or archive some of the very old posts that are still getting comments, but none of the solutions we've discussed are ideal given that we want this to be a free-flowing discussion forum, and often there is still value in comments made a year or two or three ago.  

We rely on the members to know enough to start a new thread when needed, and often the site admin staff will post a message reminding users of the best ways to use this forum (for example, use answers.microsoft.com for tech support, Uservoice to report bugs and feature requests, adhere to the Code of Conduct), but the level of experience of the members runs from novice to expert and with 213,000+ members, and hundreds of thousands of posts, it's hard to reel it all in.

Ok @ThereseSolimeno, I hope you guys find ways to address these issues.
Thanks for the info.
Best regards
Josu
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by madame206 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hello@madame206 

Since the files you upload to a channel in Teams are stored in the underlying SharePoint site, you will have to workaround this in order for it to "work" like you want. 

1: Edit the permissions on the channel libraries in Teams so the users cant create new items

2: Create other libraries directly in the SharePoint site and give the users permissions there 

Allthough, you should probably skip step two and just get a Non-Office365 group connected SharePoint site for storing files then. 

Kind Regards
Oliwer sjöberg 

View solution in original post