SOLVED

Is it possible to remove a cloud storage connection without removing the underlying files?

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

recently I added our SharePoint as cloud storage to one of our teams (when in fact I just wanted to link the Files-tab to the SharePoint). Now the files tab shows next to the teams file also the general files on the SharePoint (including files from others teams).

After realising my error I wanted to fix my error, but realized that is no to configure the cloud storage in any way (e.g. to point it to another folder further down the line) or to remove the connection. The only option available to me is "Delete", which I'm kinda afraid to click because I only want to remove the connection and dont want to delete the whole Sharepoint.

Now my question is, what does this ominous "Delete" button actually delete? The connection, the SharePoint, my (imaginary) cat, ...?

KR

jfh

14 Replies
best response confirmed by jfh-pxc (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You wont be deleting the sharepoint library or any files within it !! it’s just the sharepoint library tab that you will remove! So it’s alright :)

Adam
I don’t know if I understood you correctly but it seems like you added another library which is connected to another team?
Thank you very much, my boss and my imaginery cat will be happy :)
Well I think I might have...

We have a team with multiple subteams for each customer. In one of those subteams I think I added the mainteams files as the SP-connection, because in the subteam I have the subteams files and then a folder with SP-icon names <mainteam>_Documents.
Aha, i get it now :) the subteams aren’t really teams but “channels” of a Team! Aka a folder in SharePoint! What is your purpose of adding it? As you said yourself you will only get the root of that library with all of the channel folders by doing this! You can however create another library in that TeamSite and add that instead
As I mentioned we have a subteam/channel for each customer in our "workforce" team. To save customer specific files I wanted to link to a folder on the Sharepoint for the customer. I guess I was expecting to be able to create a folder on the Sharepoint which the team would then link to :)

But to come back to my initial question: Its still save to click "Delete" when I'm in the subteam/channel and I wont remove all the "main" teams files and folders?
But each files tab links to that corresponding folder in SP!

And yes, in teams you can safely remove the SP tab
But I didn't know that :p

It just looked empty, so I added the SP to the files tab.. :D
Well! Now you know! So I guess you and your cat are happy now☺️

@adam deltinger Following on from this conversation - I have linked a sharepoint library as an added cloud storage folder in my FILES list in a Teams channel. We are not talking about tabs here - sharepoint tabs to libraries can be deleted no problems.

The sharepoint link in FILES shows as a folder with a chain symbol. If I choose to DELETE the SHAREPOINT LIBRARY in FILES, is it going to delete the sharepoint library, files folders and all, or is it going to delete just the link to the sharepoint library.

David

Its a link so you’re fine deleting it :)

Adam

@adam deltinger 

I would like to click delete to remove the link; but mine gives me two "Delete" options and I'm not sure which to click!

The context menu also shows two "Delete"s:

hs-erinknight_1-1609272727564.png

hs-erinknight_3-1609272794827.png

I downloaded a backup of the drive before clicking Delete, since I didn't want to do something destructive. Clicking the first delete button makes it sound like it would delete the content:

hs-erinknight_1-1609274732973.png

The second delete button sounds more like the link:

hs-erinknight_0-1609274719071.png

@hs-erinknight  - Thanks! I was worried about exactly this and MS in its wisdom has still (2023) not updated the option to be Remove instead of Delete. At least there's an intermediary dialog that helps us make our decision.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jfh-pxc (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You wont be deleting the sharepoint library or any files within it !! it’s just the sharepoint library tab that you will remove! So it’s alright :)

Adam

View solution in original post