Is it possible to copy Outlook Calendar entries into a Teams calendar?

Copper Contributor

I have a scenario where I need to copy a full calendar from Outlook to Teams Calendar.

We have a Outlook Calendar that was setup and started to be used but now we have started to adopt Microsoft Teams and a new Microsoft Teams Team setup and now the team wants to use the Calendar associated with the new 'Team' .

Is there a way to copy all the entries from the Outlook Calendar to the Teams Calendar?

When we just tried to drag and drop we are just getting the error  "cannot copy  the items - you don't have the Appropriate permissions?

I'm the owner of the group, but also have full global admin access. Given myself full access to the Sharepoint site.

What am I missing or are we just unable to copy from outlook to teams?

I've not got any further thoughts on what to change or do so any help or suggestions would be gratefully received, thank you.

3 Replies

No way to do this afaik, but you should be able to add a tab pointing to the Calendar. Though if I remember correctly, there were some issues with that method and the new OWA interface. But a quick test against my own Calendar seems to work, so try it.

Calendars don't have their own view anymore, so that's what is breaking trying to add a group calendar into a tab. With the OWA change, they really made most calendar options not very viable inside of Teams.

I still like the SharePoint calendar most, but your restricted to the Desktop client when using it. You used to be able to sync the calendar to Outlook, then copy calendar contents across, but last I checked it was opening in read only for sync, so not sure if it supports that anymore.

@Chris Cooper I tried this just today and IT FINALLY WORKED! Hence sharing here.

My problem was even more complex; I configured my Yahoo mail in desktop Outlook 365 and wanted to be able to have a Yahoo account calendar entry (which was created in desktop Outlook after accepting an email calendar invite) to MS Teams. Note that my desktop Outlook does not show the MS Teams add-in for some reason, otherwise things may have been simpler. OK now, when I go to Outlook on web, the calendar does not have this entry, because the Outlook Web only shows the calendar for the MS account (mine is xxxxxxxx@Outlook.com). So what I did was to just open the Yahoo calendar entry in my desktop Outlook, and saved it as an .ics file on my PC. Then I went to my Outlook web calendar, clicked Add Calendar, chose option to Add from a File, which opened a window asking to upload an .ics file, which I pointed towards the .ics calendar entry saved on my PC. After clicking OK, now this Yahoo calendar entry from my Outlook 365 desktop calendar now started showing in my Outlook web calendar. Note that if your Outlook web calendar already has this calendar entry, then you do not need the steps described until here. NOW, you just need to double-click to open the particular calendar entry which you would like to move to MS Teams, in your Outlook web calendar. Once the window is open, COPY the web address (long string) in your web browser address bar, go to MS Teams, Click on the Plus sign, choose Add Website, Paste the copied address, and Lo & Behold, the fully functional calendar entry would now start to show up in your MS Teams :) I hope this resolves your issue. During research on the web, I saw some people mentioning that the web address for the Whole Calendar in Outlook web can be copied and pasted into MS Teams, but so far I just could not find how to do that. 

Cheers!