SOLVED

Is it possible to collapse the teams list on the left?

Iron Contributor

The list of teams, which functions as a navigation panel on the left of the Teams interface, takes up a fair amount of screen real estate. It seems obvious that this should be collapsible, but I have no idea how to collapse it if so. I'm referring to the highlighted area of the image below.

image879.png

19 Replies
best response confirmed by gtuckerkellogg (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Sometimes it is, sometimes not! For examples, when you work with files or apps in teams, there’s a icon up on the right corner to expand the right side area. This removes the teams area you are mentioning

Adam
If you mean having always the ability to hide the Teams area, this is a feature we have not Today. You can only do it when you are on a tab

Has any one successfully found out if this is on the roadmap or where the official feature request intake is for the MS Teams Product team?

This is a very necessary feature. The application actually has the ability for responsive UX. If you increase the zoom beyond a specific percentage within the app, the left Teams pane will become dynamic and self hide unless you hover over it. 

Microsoft really should work to enable this capability as a setting. So much screen real-estate is lost without this ability.  

Hi @gtuckerkellogg  The Microsoft Teams Feedback Portal is the place to report bugs or submit feature suggestions to the engineering team.  There is already an item on this topic, so we encourage you to upvote it: Enable users to collapse/expand our teams list · Community (microsoft.com)

From a simple business perspective I fully agree and not to sure why this is an issue we are just talking here about the thick clients (aka Desktop)
I'm agree with you it could be very helpfull particolarry for who use a laptop like me with small screen.
I came here looking for this feature!

I agree 100%. The Teams window takes up entirely to much screen space. It is maddening that the Teams window cannot be minimized. Come on Microsoft please fix this obvious user annoyance. This annoyance is one of the primary reasons I dread using Teams.@THD_BBURRETS 

At one stage pre-covid there was a trial of this facility, but it seemed to disappear.  Did it not work or was a decision made about it for some reason.

Would like to see this capability.

It's been 15 months and this very necessary feature is still yet to be added.

In fact, as of today, the sidebar has gotten larger 🥲
I agree, this should be a feature. When you use Teams a lot as a starting point it´s nice to be able to remain inside of Teams which is not possible when almost half of the screen is taken.

The only workaround I've found is to drag the view to my 2nd screen and then enlarge it so the part I need to see is viewable on 2nd monitor and the list is on the 1st monitor. Would LOVE to see a collapse feature ASAP!

This is so much wasted real estate. When working with MS Lists, we can only see a few columns, because of this problem. And yes, we can open it in SharePoint and view the whole list without this column on the left. But we're talking about Teams, not SharePoint. We want to be able to do it in Teams.
so while waiting for MS to do something about it, i am just going to pop-out the tab that im working on to get full real-estate space :(
Was this issue ever resolved? How can a user mass collapse all open Team channels in the left side Teams list? It seems such a simple request. Anyone?

@Hersche1 no, it was not ever resolved; having it collapsed would provide significantly more screen real estate

I have managed to collapse it and was hoping to find out how I could uncollapse it!

@gtuckerkelloggWe developed a Firefox extension to make MS Teams works better
 for us. It hides sidebar, expands and uncollapse all messages, also
highlights new message. Please let me now what you think.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/better-teams/

Click on the tab you want to access. Click on the down arrow on the right hand side of the tab. Click on the "expand tab" menu option. The teams list disappears and the tab expands to fill that space. Click on the two arrows pointing towards each other in the top right corner of the screen if you want to collapse the tab back to its original size and access the teams list on the left.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by gtuckerkellogg (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Sometimes it is, sometimes not! For examples, when you work with files or apps in teams, there’s a icon up on the right corner to expand the right side area. This removes the teams area you are mentioning

Adam

View solution in original post