SOLVED

Invite new team member from outside organization and no 365 account

Copper Contributor
My MS Teams works from a 365 account.

I want to create a team and invite a new member who neither has a 365 account nor is part of my organization, but who has the Teams Windows app installed with his Microsoft account. Total outsider.

I don’t manage to do this.

When I try to invite and type in his email address I get the message: “We didn’t find any matches”. I can’t add him to contacts for exactly the same reason.

How do I go about this? Thanks

6 Replies

@yosbeck 

If you have typed the full email in and are getting that message guest access may be set to off in the Teams Admin centre, worth checking that before anything else. 

@ don't know why this Post has had no MS reply? The one reply misses what I believe Poster was asking and is also my inquiry: how to add TEAM MEMBER (not guest) to a Team without an O365 account, and not in your own org?

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @brianmcelroysorg ,

This is a community forum so 99 out of 100 posts Microsoft do not reply. If you need support you can raise a ticket in your Microsoft 365 Admin centre.

All team members need to be licensed in Microsoft 365. If they do not have a license then they are classed as guest users.  All users in external orgs are classed as guest users. 

@Andrew HodgesThanks much for replying. Yes I get that, I hadn't noticed this was Community Support. This paerticular Teams is "freemium" so I have no Admin Portal, so I guess that NO "freemium" Teams will ever have Guests tho the Team and Channel settings include the Guests settings. My own O365 is Bus Premium so I can adjust that one and do see the controls. Thanks!

@brianmcelroysorg I have a freemium tenant, no issue with inviting guests for me, just works.

Hi @brianmcelroysorg   It might help for you to see a comparison of features between the free version and the paid version of Teams:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/differences-between-microsoft-teams-and-microsoft-teams-f...

Other resources online talk about guest access in free Teams.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @brianmcelroysorg ,

This is a community forum so 99 out of 100 posts Microsoft do not reply. If you need support you can raise a ticket in your Microsoft 365 Admin centre.

All team members need to be licensed in Microsoft 365. If they do not have a license then they are classed as guest users.  All users in external orgs are classed as guest users. 

View solution in original post