SOLVED

Invite a channel-calendar from/via outlook invitation?!

Copper Contributor
Today a colleague asked me, how it's possible to invite the channel-calender from a #microsoftteams via a classical outlook-invitation. I tried several tests to solve the requirement...

I...
- invited the channel email in my outlook invitation
- invited the teams-group email
- checked some sharepoint settings
- etc.

but nothing helped. I didn't found any new meeting block in the channel-calender.

Only the option one-way to organize it in teams, send it to outlook and forwarding it to other people was really successful.

Last chance, due to very less time in the next days is to ask you (my #digitalcollaboration network) now. Do you got a tool hack in your pocket;)?
10 Replies
best response confirmed by Larsius (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello, you can only schedule a channel meeting using Teams, it's not currently possible with Outlook. The Channel Calendar App is only part of the current channel being a filtered view of the group mailbox. Meaning it will show all the meeting in that particular channel in a calendar view. You can add a channel calendar to all your channels.

@ChristianJBergstrom that's a pain as when you set an event via Teams you can't set time to 'free' (such as when you set up a holiday and want everyone to see it but not block out the calendar). So these have to be set up in Outlook but I can't then invite the Team as such.

@ChristianJBergstrom We are really trying to leverage teams with our local and remote users and have a need to have one place to go for all general information for the team.  We have a channel for this with it's own calendar and it would be extremely useful for users to be able to schedule "meetings" with the channel calendar to show when they will be out-of-office.  So this is a big limitation of channel calendars for us.

I think you can try my way:
background is : team is actually "account"
1, find your team email addr. in azure portal/TAC, it should like teamname "with number(if duplicated)"@onmicrosoft.com
2, change email to visible in exchange(by default every team email addr. is invisible for user in exchange"
3, then you can add its calendar in outlook

I will stop from here as it's too far from what MS wants: use Teams

for step 2, where is this setting changed? is it in Azure?
kind of.
need to change it with exchange privilege, like exchange administrator

@AnqB0VVRJMzsO6zV Thanks for the tip for the Team calendar.  However, what I'm looking for is for a channel specific calendar.

yeah, hope you can find a way, as techinically it could works
but you can smell that MS want us to use Teams, insteads of Outlook
I fully agree with this request here and we are needing the same solution. Such a feature would be extremely useful. We want on the channel have a calendar and people can invite this "calendar" just as well as other persons. (We not want to force persons to change their way of working. They are used to schedule all their meetings with outlook, so do NOT force them to schedule meetings that should turn up on this calendar in a different way!)

Where can we officially create a feature request and up-vote it?
Hello, pls check again.

I want to invite the channel calender. If I invite the email adress from the team it isnt working...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Larsius (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello, you can only schedule a channel meeting using Teams, it's not currently possible with Outlook. The Channel Calendar App is only part of the current channel being a filtered view of the group mailbox. Meaning it will show all the meeting in that particular channel in a calendar view. You can add a channel calendar to all your channels.

View solution in original post