SOLVED

Interaction Teams2Teams and Teams2Skype - Issues and Question / UPN vs. Email

Brass Contributor

Hello,

i have an understanding issues regarding the Teams2Teams interaction and also with Teams2Skype. 

Consider the following scenario.

Tenant A:

• cloud only account / Teams only 
  • UPN and Email are the same
  • has whitelisted upn and email from Tenant B in external access

Tenant B: 

• full hybrid environment / Teams only and Exchange Online only / accounts onprem
  • UPN and Email is different
  • as whitelisted email in external access 

So now they want to interact:

If a user from tenant B wants to interact with a user from tenant a, the user just puts in his email and can call and chat of course. User from Tenant A is listed in Tenant with email address. 

If a user from tenant A wants to interact, he has to know the upn. An interaction or adding the account via Email ist not possible.  The Names in Tenant A are always the upn. 

And now the question:

Is this my design, are we missing something e.g. SIP Profiles, DNS entries, etc. etc. Can it be achieved that users from  Tenant B can also be added via their normal Email address wich is not their upn. 

Any hints would be great and I hope everbody knows what i mean ;)

This is same with Skype-Consumer integration. 

Many Greetings

Erik 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ErikVet (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ErikVet 

The is by design. Majorly because the Teams Application uses the UPN ID which indeed would also be the SIP Address for the Tenant B Users where the Tenant A Users are trying to reach to. Hence Tenant B need to fix the Email and the UPN Addresses to make this work.

With Regards,

Satish U

I’m having trouble seeing invites on Microsoft teams.

@RealTime_M365 

thx for the reply. 

We thought so to, but in some cases (business related) it is not possible to keep Email Address and UPN in line. It would be great if MS can somehow address this issue. Maybe with some kind of DNS magic/records ... 

I guess we are not the only one out there , where this is and must be the case. I know that Microsoft recommends this but sometimes not feasible. 

Many Greetings

Erik 

In many cases it is not the solution to have the same UPN and email, for example a multinational with numerous brands and systems with SSO based on authentication domain, it is very complicated to make UPN changes or have multiple domains given the impact it can have on security applications. third parties, systems with SSO, etc.

Using SIP:email in the proxyaddress should work to solve this.

@RealTime_M365 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ErikVet (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ErikVet 

The is by design. Majorly because the Teams Application uses the UPN ID which indeed would also be the SIP Address for the Tenant B Users where the Tenant A Users are trying to reach to. Hence Tenant B need to fix the Email and the UPN Addresses to make this work.

With Regards,

Satish U

View solution in original post