Install apps on behalf of users (in preview)

Iron Contributor

In this article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-app-setup-policies

I see references to a preview feature allowing to install apps on behalf of users from the Team's admin center. My tenant is in First Release, however, I cannot see the feature where it is supposed to be (i.e. in "Teams apps > Setup policies" I can see only "Pinned apps", no sign of "Installed apps").

I have tried to search for further information in the Message Center, Microsoft 365 roadmap and Teams Tech Community, without any success.

Looking at the doc commit history, it seems that app "pre-install" has been first introduced at the beginning of last February (see commit). It also seems I'm not the only one wondering about this.

Does anyone know something more about this?

5 Replies

@Nicolò Manzotti Hello, excuse me if I don't understand. But you can't use the existing 'app setup policies'? Teams apps -> Setup policies -> Add.

@ChristianBergstrom the problem is that in the "Setup" policies I only see "Pinned apps": I can't see "Installed app".

This screenshot is from the documentation:

app-setup-policies-add

This is from my Teams admin centre (I'm sorry about it being in Italian):

image.png

The doc page says the feature is in "Preview", however, I can't find any information on how to access the preview (and my tenant is already in "First release" mode).

@Nicolò Manzotti Interesting question, the Installed for User feature is not yet generally available, I assume it's some kind of private preview with select clients. Teams does not use the First Release concept, that won't get you anything sooner.

Pinning an app will make it obvious to users, but it will only install (request consent) when they first use it.

@Nicolò Manzotti Hello! You should've attached the screenshot in the first post ;) Thanks for making it clear. Well, if it's any comfort we don't have it either. Thanks for the input @Steven Collier 

@ChristianBergstrom thanks for the feedback! You're right, I have added a few words to the first post to make things clearer for forthcoming readers.

Thanks for the clarification @Steven Collier. Pinning the apps could be a good workaround, however, when I try to add a new "Pinned" app I receive a message saying something like this: "It is not possible to find apps which can be added" (see screenshot below, again, sorry for the Italian).

image.png